We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using avios for BA flights

scotland
Level Contributor
745 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
using avios for BA flights

Hi, can anyone please tell me if when trying to book using my avios do they only let you book on certain flights and times

thank you

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: using avios for BA flights

you can book on flights that have Avios availability. Some routes are easier than others - the flights are released 11 months out and people often report either being able to get seats on release or a couple of days before the actual flight. Remember taxes and fees are on top so if you are looking to use them for long haul economy flights they are really poor value as taxes and fees often make up the majority of the fare

You should be able to check availability when you log in to the site

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using avios for BA flights

There's only a limited number of seats ("award seats") on each flight available to be booked using Avios and it's first come, first served. In the case of very popular destinations such as UK-Australia at Christmas time there might not be any, or only a couple of seats which get snapped up within minutes of bookings opening.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: using avios for BA flights

The major problem with people collecting Avios is that they do not check what they can be used for. I am assuming the OP wants certain flights at certain times, you have to be very flexible when booking reward flights.

BA allocate a certain number of seats on certain flights. During peak times and on peak routes they have so many people willing to pay with cash for flights, they have no reason to offer reward flights. To some degree it would not be commercial astute to offer reward flights if you can get cash.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using avios for BA flights

janet012 - I've always managed to use mine and that is with a connection from Glasgow and during school holidays. Perseverance is worth it ;-)

scotland
Level Contributor
745 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using avios for BA flights

Thanks folks, its for April next year flying glasgow to lyon, I know there are lots of flight times but when I put in to use my avios its onle letting me pick the rubbish flight times and I know its indirect I have to go but can only fly into one airport andmkeave from another, eg fly into gatwick leave from heathrow, but rubbish me thinks

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using avios for BA flights

I can assure you that flying First Class to Boston is totally not rubbish ;-)

I found that more of the connecting flights open up as time goes on. That's what I was looking for, for my trip. I just kept checking until the flights I wanted became available as I didn't want to change airports either. (This was for April 2014 and got booked up in January).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,280 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using avios for BA flights

Keep checking, seats are released all the time. I've recently booked our holiday for April next year with Avios and it took a couple of months of checking but I got the seats I wanted in the end. Searching for seats in business class may give you better options (but will cost twice the Avios as well).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using avios for BA flights

Are you flying at Easter Janet?

scotland
Level Contributor
745 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: using avios for BA flights

Yea the dates are easter

scotland
Level Contributor
745 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: using avios for BA flights

Helshaw2002 brilliant getting first class to Boston, you are right not so rubbish lol

Sorry I didnt realise if I kept checking they might become available, thanks for that advice

I will keep trying