We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

Hey guys just a quick question, I have booked flights for me and a mate to Austin, Texas from Adelaide, South Australia, connecting through Sydney and LA. When i booked the tickets through expedia (I know big mistake) I didnt put middle names in yet our passport says differently. Lots of forums say that there is no issue and apparently expedia are a pain in the you know what about it and refuse to change.

If we get to the airport will there be any problem? Really need to stress less about this haha

cheers

Joshua

42 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

You don't need middle names. You are good to go, so forget about it.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

Middle names don't matter.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

There are literally dozens of threads about this, and they all confirm that airlines pay no attention whatever to middle names, or even print them on boarding passes. As long as the first and last names are correct, that's all that matters.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

I booked a flight ticket yesterday and on top of the page where I had to write my name it said that you have to write your middle name as given name or last name depending if where in your passport the middle name is written. My middle name is written under given name so I had to write that under given name. I've heard about people who have gotten problems boarding a flight because they hadn't written their middle name.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,545 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

I have never ever had a plane ticket that included my middle name, and this has never ever caused a problem.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,056 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

Similarly I always put the middle name in if the space is there when buying my ticket, yet it never shows up on the actual ticket. So one would have to conclude middle names really don't matter.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

If middle names were used, no European would be allowed to fly.

We never use our middle names, yet I realized I have 2 of those on my passport after seeing so much about it on this forum. Never had my middle name printed anywhere.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

As a frequent flyer with United, my profile shows my middle name but when I purchase a ticket It shows up on the e-ticket as an initial attached to my first name, so don't worry about it, no problem.

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
4 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

Middle name is not so important. I travelled from India to the US at least on two occasions when my middle name was missing on the e-ticket.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket

cheers everyone! just good to have some peace of mind on the matter, looks like i can keep booking my trip now haha

Reply to: MIDDLE NAME on my plane ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted