We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of ticket ?

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
What type of ticket ?

Hi

We are in the very early stage of planning a trip to Australia New Zealand 2015-2016 looking at 3 to 4 months, Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb.

We have been to Australia twice before but would like to spend time again probably a month and the same in N. Z. Possibly a few days in Hong Kong with friends

We feel this would be a good time to add somewhere on route. i.e Japan, China Singapore Thailand are a few places we have not visited

Which type of ticket do you think would be best to consider ?

Would Trailfinders/ travel Bag, be the best to approach or which other companys for flights?

We may need 1 or 2 internal flights in Australia.

Is there a best time to buy a ticket ?

I realise some of these question have been asked before but sometimes things change. Sorry if I have missed recent information

I hope experts can help.

Chalky

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of ticket ?

Trailfinders are one of the few reputable full service travel agents I'd trust. They, along with Dial A Flight have worked out itineraries for my mother for trips like you're looking at to Oz, NZ and with one stopover en route. Travel Bag seems to get good reviews too.

If you were looking at one stopover - say either Hong Kong or Singapore or one city in China or Thailand - I'd say book it yourself. But with two stopovers (three counting Australia) it could get complex, especially for decent fares. You may end up with two "open jaw" tickets and a (at least one) one way. I'd speak with the three agents above and discuss options with them.

Good luck.

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of ticket ?

Thanks for your reply USB

I think we will be looking at more than 1 stopover.

Possibly Hong Kong to see friends only a few days, 1 month Australia 1 month N.Z maybe Japan and Thailand China maybe to cold..

IN order to miss school holiday we are thinking possibly N Z first then Australia (we have friends to catch up with ) and may need internal flights.

We have travelled a lot independantly in India and Australia and usually book hotel trains etc ourselves.

When dealing with Trailfinders do you recommend visiting an office or online.

We have used travelbag many years ago

Any other advice we will be happy to listen to.

Thanks again

Chalky

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of ticket ?

"When dealing with Trailfinders do you recommend visiting an office or online."

=====

I've personally not used them. My parents (now my mother) booked them by phone. As with DAF they got a personal agent to discuss options. And importantly with those agents they can make reservations and give you time to mull it over (24-72 hours). That's the good old "bricks and mortar" travel agent style of using the airlines' "time to ticket" deadline rather than "book now".

So my advice would be to NOT book online (I'm not sure you can with TF or DAF) and either visit an office or book by phone. If you can, a personal visit is much preferred, though be prepared to ask questions; however reputable they are they may still be in sell mode. And don't be afraid to come back here and ask for advice.

Note re phone calls - a quick check of the websites sees that Travelbag charges 10p/min for phone services, Trailfinders has a regular London (0208 - landline) number and Dial A Flight has a 0844 (5p per min) charge.

Edited: 6:07 am, August 30, 2014
uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of ticket ?

Hi Usb

Many thanks for the advice

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of ticket ?

Why don't you get them to send you their brochures for ideas and go further by phone or the shop in High St. Kensington

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of ticket ?

Hi Bongoblog

I am trying to find the best way to get a good deal for flights possibly 1 short stop in H K then Aus & N Z with maybe 2 stops on the way back.

I had the impression there were ways to do this other than travel agents.

We usually book everything on line ourselves.

I will take a look at the company's and what they have to offer

Thanks for the info and advice

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What type of ticket ?

I have always found Trailfinders excellent when booking a more complicated trip. I usually do some online research first and then call or call in. They found us a brilliant stopover option in Singapore a few years ago and found a great deal on a hotel in Dubai on another Australia trip.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What type of ticket ?

Note re phone calls - a quick check of the websites sees that Travelbag charges 10p/min for phone services

------------

which has a landline alternative:

020 7810 4444 (London Strand office). Check saynoto0870 for cheaper alternative nos.

but essentially I would have no qualms booking with either Trailfinders or Travelbag. Nothing to stop you looking at airline multi city prices direct of course but given your itinerary is non -standard you may need a TA to help with some options esp if you need accommodation en route.

Edited: 10:41 am, August 30, 2014
uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What type of ticket ?

Thanks Rebecca one of my stops will be quite close to Brisbane

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What type of ticket ?

parklandwalk thanks for the no's

Have used travel bag before & travelmood (think the later was taken over)

Yes I could compare with airline multi city prices direct . Do you think RTW tickets worth comparing ?

Hotel's we usually manage but the company's sometimes get better rates.

H K can stay with friends Australia friends and hotels.

N. Z we will need hotels and wherever we stay on the way back we will need accomodation. Have managed trains and Planes online many times with the aid of TA and seat 61

Much to think about and thanks for the help

Edited: 12:24 pm, August 30, 2014