We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

I've never considered trying to carry them before but we are thinking about throwing a couple of the tiny liquor bottles into our clear plastic bag with the other carry on size bottles of stuff and perhaps having a toast on our long flight.

Will they simply get confiscated at the security check point?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,652 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

They won't get confiscated but you'll probably be breaching the airline regulations if you drink them onboard. With most airlines, only alcohol served by the cabin crew is permitted.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

Why not just buy on board rather than break federal law?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

Really? Why not read the question?

Am not trying to break any federal law! Come on!

I said I'd put them in the clear bag for them to see and asked would they be confiscated......meaning is it permitted!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,256 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

This info is from the TSA website:

tsa.gov/traveler-information/alcoholic-bever…

I hope it helps.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

Yes, you may bring alcohol in your carry on, as long as it's under the size requirement. You just are not allowed to drink it on the plane. I think that is the law that the other poster refers to.

Edited: 11:30 am, August 25, 2014
Kingston, Tennessee
Level Contributor
340 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

Code of Federal Regulations Title 14 121.575 (a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

Am not trying to break any federal law! Come on! ---> "and perhaps having a toast on our long flight. "

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

Sounds to me like the OP does want to take their own alcohol on board the plane to drink, even if it is a small amount :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,967 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

I think the OP's point was that he's asking the question because he wants to find out if it's permitted. If someone says "is this allowed?" it's silly to respond with "why do you want to break the law?" That's why he's asking! Because he DOESN'T want to break the law.

The first answer was succinct, accurate and complete. So the OP knows he can take them on board, but can't use them for his intended purpose. End of story.

Edited: 1:53 pm, August 25, 2014
Dallas
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 50 ml Alcohol Bottles in Carryon?

I've done it many times, and as long as you are not creating problems or getting drunk, the flight attendants won't say a word.

Actually, you do have another option if you are a stickler for the rules. Give them to the flight attendant and let them serve them to you. Technically, that is totally O.K.

Robert Crandall used to be CEO of American Airlines. He brought a bottle of his favorite booze on board when he flew, and gave it to the flight attendants. They would serve him when he wanted a drink.