We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

Hi, i booked 2 flights in Jun 2014 for 2 people flying to New York via Manchester to Heathrow the onto JFK with BA for JAN 2014 paid in full. Last week i tried to sign in to manage my booking it wa saying " no flights booked" after calling them they told me the times had changed so i agreed to rebook, they did not email me or try to contact me to let me know about this problem. The following wk i tried to sign in and had the same problem, after calling someone in what i can only describe as a call centre as they couldn't care less answering me with robotic answers from a chalk board. I was informed the flights had been cancelled! no email nothing to let me know! They expect me to wait 10 days for my refund yet they took my money in 5 mins of booking the flights.

What is angering me they still have these flights for sale on the internet and their website.Someone else could have their holiday ruined like mine has. I have paid for my NY hotel and now have to wait for my refund to re-book flights elsewhere.

Willie Walsh you run a mickey mouse airline and don't care for your paying customers i hope you enjoy that massive 5 Million pay packet while your customers struggle with an airline that basically has rubbish customer service policies. I have had no reply to emails etc.

Anyone booking for New York Jan 2015 i would book elsewhere, you may turn up at the airport and have nowhere to go!!

Edited: 12:47 pm, August 21, 2014
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

My mistake, i meant to say 2015 not 2014

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,507 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

If the exact flight number/s are still on sale on BA website they haven't been cancelled.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,523 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

Did you check your junk mail?

I've never had this problem with BA, in fact they've been one of the most efficient with notifications in my experience. I don't think they were cancelled.

Ten days for a refund is nothing, there are many that can take months.

Edited: 12:57 pm, August 21, 2014
4. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:58 pm, August 21, 2014
Edited: 12:58 pm, August 21, 2014
California
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

That is really unfortunate about your canceled flights. The airlines can change their schedules but they should have informed you. But you are getting a refund. Refunds do take longer than when one pays. I believe it has to do with the accounting process before it can be credited to your credit card.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

...and the award for most dramatic post of the day goes to....

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

Actually I'd say the award would go elsewhere, by some margin, today.....

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

Well, if you agreed to rebook (meaning accept the changes from BA) and they then canceled your ticket then that is (one instance, just one of) poor service. Hopefully with January still being a way off the fares to New York will still be competitive.

In the mean time I would contact BA's customer service and explain to them what happened. Make sure you are POLITE, FACTUAL and unemotional (no "Willie Walsh you run a mickey mouse airline and don't care for your paying customers ..." nonsense). If the person that reads the message understands the issue, and wants to help (the way your message is worded is the key here) they may provisde you a gesture of good will such as a voucher off future flights. If this happened then depending on how fast that turnaround is you may be able to apply that voucher to your new JFK tickets.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

They told me they have not updated their website. These fights are still for sale as i explained on the telephone how can theys till be selling cancelled flights. All flights out on 15 Jan except for one have been cancelled. My refund is pending as ive just been told when i tried to sign in using my booking ref number.

10. Re: British Airways cancel flights without any warning.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:08 pm, August 22, 2014
Edited: 1:08 pm, August 22, 2014