We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Unmarried couple at LHR customs

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Unmarried couple at LHR customs

My girlfriend and I will be traveling together to Heathrow. Are we allowed to go through customs together or do we have to go up separately? Will the fact that we're both women cause any problems or confusion? My girlfriend has never traveled internationally before and is a bit nervous about it.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
29,562 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

Do you mean customs or immigration?

London, United...
Level Contributor
25,551 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

Do you mean immigration ie passport control? Customs is where you go through the declare do not declare channel and it's regarding what you are bringing into the country.

As for passport control, you just walk up to the desk one after the other, but there should be no issue in going together,

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

Either way, no worries

You are travelling together but may be called up separately to show your passports, but that's no big deal if you go together. There will be someone calling you forward and directing you.

Sometimes a couple will be split and directed to two different desks, it doesn't really matter.

As for customs everybody walks en masse through the ' Nothing to declare" channel or it to the other one if you need to declare something. Single, married or life partners or just friends doesn't make much difference

Just relax and enjoy yourselves.

California
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

I believe the OP is referring to immigration/passport control.

I doubt there will be any problem in going to the desk together.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
369 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

Last year, my friend and I were told that we should have gone to the desk together as we were travelling together.

Edited: 4:27 pm, August 20, 2014
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

Frankly, I can't begin to even imagine why you would think that 2 females travelling together would attract any more attention than any other couple, of either, mixed or same genders.

If that was the case, then half the world's airports customs and immigration systems and channels would grind to a halt in about 20 minutes.

What is really on your mind if,you don't mind me asking?

Relax, please!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
29,562 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

<<Last year, my friend and I were told that we should have gone to the desk together as we were travelling together.>>

How would immigration even know you were travelling together?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

Yes, I meant immigration, sorry. Thanks all!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
32,123 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

UK passport control won't give a damn if you are two girls, two boys or two orangutans as long as your passports are in order.

They like people travelling together to come forward together so they don't have to ask the same questions twice.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
113 reviews
10. Re: Unmarried couple at LHR customs

I would guess that they would be more concerned about people travelling together presenting themselves individually.