We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

This July 2014, I flew to Paris from San Francisco with my son. For the return flight, we paid $94 ($188 total) extra for advance seating for what Air France calls "Siege Plus". We were to be seated by an exiton the upper deck of an A380 allowing us all the leg room we wanted.

When I did the online check-in, I realized the seats had been changed to regular seats.

We arrived at the airport 2 1/2 hours ahead of our early departure hoping to straighten out the problem and to have breakfast before flight time.

We were sent from one Air France counter to the other, all the way to the boarding gate counter. All that for nothing! Air France was unable to get our paid seats back and refused to upgrade us to better seats.

Air France ignored my first email to them and ended-up reimbursing the fee and gave us 5000 points on our Skymiles accounts. Laughable!

What is the point of paying for a seat if it is not guaranteed?

The cabin crew on Air France have always been tops but the rest of the company, and the constant threat of strikes make this a low rate company.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,982 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

>>>The cabin crew on Air France have always been tops but the rest of the company, and the constant threat of strikes make this a low rate company.

Ok then why did you book with Air France. There are plenty of other airlines out there that can take you to Paris?

You mention booking an exit row for you and your son ? Most airlines have a policy as to who can sit near an exit row. so while I am not sure what did happen, Are you sure you were sold an exit row with a child sitting on that row ? Perhaps your son is a young adult .

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,983 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

Unfortunately no seat is iron clad guaranteed ... but I would ask why you expect more than the fee paid for the seats? You were reimbursed all costs so what more do you expect or believe you are entitled too and why?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

"Air France ignored my first email to them and ended-up reimbursing the fee and gave us 5000 points on our Skymiles accounts. Laughable!"

Why is this laughable... you ere reimbursed and received skymiles so you are not out anything - they made you whole.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

No seats are ever guaranteed, and can be changed for a myriad of reasons. One question that comes up is how old is your son? That may be a red herring if he's not a child, but as mentioned before children under a certain age (15 for US based carriers) aren't allowed to sit in an exit row,

In any case, for those that lose the preferred seating the correct procedure is a full refund of the seat fee. You received that, plus 5000 Delta SkyMiles as a gesture of goodwill. So, despite the inconvenience (understandable) AF went over and above what it needed to do in providing you the additional SkyMiles.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

It does seem to happen with this airline, perhaps there is a bug in the computer. I checked in last week and changed to a differant seat from my pre selected one . When I picked up my boarding card and dropped bags I saw the seat had reverted to the old one. The agent could see the seats selected in the booking history but had no idea why the system had moved me. I ended up with a new seat in C class :-) Flight was overbooked and I have status.

There are a lot of compaints on flyertalk about the OLCI system doing strange things, including one guy with a platinum card that the system would not allow to check in as he was a minor :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

Whilst that may happen, I think a deliberate move was far more likely than a computer glitch. Regardless, everyone should understand the T&C's attached to seat selection, and in this instance the outcome was more than fair.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

The obvious reason I choose Air France is the non-stop flight between SFO and CDG, my final destination.

As I mentioned, I never had a problem once on the plane and have no beef with the flying personnel.

My son was 15 years and 7 months at the time of the flight. The limit on Air France is 12 years.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

It seems like we have come to view any bad treatment from airlines as the acceptable norm.

I had a contract with Air France which I could not breach without loosing. They can do what-ever they want?

Air France did not reimburse me the fees on the spot. I had to go on their web site, gather the documents and try several times before succeeding.

A refund was the least they could do. The 5000 bonus miles are a drop in the bucket, we all know who hard it is to fly with miles.

The least they should have done was an upgrade to Premium economy.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

>>>They can do what-ever they want?<<<

No they cannot.

However your particular circumstance is something you agreed to, by entering into a CoC.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Warning About Seat Plus On Air France

This is not gambling. I am not happy because I come out without loosing.

I paid for something and I expected to get it. It's a contract. It's that simple.

Spending 2 1/2 hours trying to straighten-out someone else's mistake to no avail is not what I bargained for.

I paid the extra fee so I could travel comfortably.