We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yapta

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
412 reviews
Save Topic
Yapta

Folks,

I have been using Yapta for quite a while, but don't hear much on this forum about it. Its search engine is based on Kayak, and you can track a flight for price changes. Yapta will email an alert when the price dropped by certain amount.

The fares listed on Yapta is bookable on the airlines website directly via a link most of the time, though the more obvious links provided are to 3rd party sites. So far I find the prices are as accurate as on the airlines websites.

Yapta also have a refund feature that if the price of the ticket you purchased dropped by certain amount, they will help you to make a claim. I have not used this feature before but I think in order for Yapta to do that, they have to be able to receive accurate fares information from the airline on the fly!

Try it at http://www.yapta.com/

I also use Skyscanner to search but always book directly with airlines, difference with Skyscanner is you can't do multicity search, and they usually direct you to book on 3rd party sites which I would avoid.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yapta

Are yapta prices in USD?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yapta

This probably isn't mentioned much, because of change fees you still have to pay if the flight price drops.

For almost every nonrefundable fare on every airline, even if the fare drops, you are going to pay a change fee (right now it's up to about $200 for a US domestic ticket with almost every airline, not including Alaska and Southwest, and much higher for an international ticket change), and then you can refare at the new price. Very unusual for the fare to drop enough that you ever get a voucher back.

Edited: 3:11 pm, September 24, 2014
ontario, canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yapta

I was looking to see if there was a change in my fare but was not sure of their currency. Likely, I have booked four tickets, we are not going to change anything, just more curious.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yapta

Chrsms, yes it is in USD.

Gracie, agree and it won't be worthwhile for many low price tickets and I think this is probably a scheme more suited for corporate or international travels of certain fare class.

A list of airlines and their refund policy are available on Yapta website:

http://my.yapta.com/airline-refunds/

The keypoint I think is to offer this service Yapta must have live airfares from the airlines as price change don't stay forever!

Edited: 9:13 pm, September 24, 2014
Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Yapta

I've been using Yapta for several years. It is a superb service, free of charge. After I book a ticket, I list my flight on Yapta, along with the fare I paid. Yapta constantly checks the fare and if it drops, I receive an immediate notification. I then call the airline to request a credit. It is true that, with non refundable fares, most airlines have a change ticket fee. The price drop must be greater than the change fee to make it worthwhile. In my case, I fly JetBlue frequently. If the price of the ticket falls within the first 14 days of booking, I get a full credit - no change fee. After 14 days, the price must fall by more than $75 to make it worthwhile. Over the past several years I have received several thousand dollars back. With increasing change fees, it is harder today than before to qualify for a credit, especially for very low cost fares. But for airlines like JetBlue that refund in full within 14 days, and have a (new) nominal change fee of $75, it is well worth entering the info on Yapta. You never know!! Happy holidays.

Edited: 10:35 am, December 16, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yapta

Even though I have not used Yapta to claim any refund, I have been using the price alert features and to book air tickets directly on the airlines' websites with much success.

In one instance I found a low fare on UA from SIN to EWR on Yapta which directed me to booked on UAL.com, but I wasn't able to pay with my local credit card after booking so I had to call UA office in Singapore to give them my credit card#, and UA SIN honoured the booking even though the fare wasn't listed on the UAL singapore website for whatever reason.

This is a very useful tool besides Skyscanner or ITA Matrix that one can use to search for flights.

Edited: 1:11 am, December 17, 2014
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
377 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yapta

The airfare change fees on jetBlue are more complicated (and in some cases incorrect) than what has been described here. Currently, within 24 hours you can cancel your jetBlue ticket at no charge. However, the change fee after that time can vary between $75 and $150 depending on how long ago the booking was made and how much the original fare cost. When making a change you always must then pay the then-current fare. However, if you need to make a change at the last minute, another option to consider is to fly Same Day Standby. The cost is $50 and your original tickets still apply. Note that after you book a flight, the fares paid for each leg is very difficult to determine unless you write them down when booking. Also, any funds in your Travel Bank cannot be used for this Same Day Standby charge.

Edited: 5:56 am, December 17, 2014
8. Re: Yapta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 19, 2015