We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re: flight tickets

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice re: flight tickets

Hi all,

I've booked flights with Qatar to Goa, and because of the recent schedule changes, i will no longer make my connecting flight (British Airways on a separate ticket) from LHR to NCL later that day...

I've tried my luck with BA and they want £60.55 per person per change to move to a later flight, and Qatar won't help because it is booked on a separate ticket.

I'm 99% sure i'm going to have to pay, but do any of you know a loophole, or maybe something passengers are entitled to when flight schedules change?

Will also post this to the Air Travel Forum, if i can find it!

Thanks in advance :)

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

This is the air travel forum, so look no further.

In regards to your question, unless your travel insurance covers this (unlikely) then you have no other options. Buying on 2 tickets means you are truly on your own and BA or QR do not assist in cases such as this.

At least the lesson was not too expensive.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

Sorry but you are going to have to cough up! Because you bought two separate tickets then the airlines are under no obligation to help you and there's no loopholes. I think you've got off quite lightly to be honest!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,260 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

You've learned the lesson of the risks of buying separate tickets - you'll have to pay to make the change and be grateful it wasn't a lot more expensive

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c207311/Newton…

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

You have to pay, there is no loophole, unless you have travel insurance that covers it. Worth checking your policy. Some policies cover it if you had originally left enough time between connections. Not many though.

Basically it's the risk of two seperate tickets, one ticket and the airline bears the risk, two tickets and this risk is yours, hence why it's normally cheaper but seldom advisable. Because also if your BA flight is delayed on the day and you miss you need to pay for a walk up ticket. Which will hurt. And possibly accommodation etc if no seats available for some considerable time.

If you are changing, then I would go for as long as possible between flights, most people would recommend up to a day to reduce your risk, but several hours at least. More if you have luggage, need to collect and check in again.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

For £61, you have got off rather lightly.

Pay the change fee and chalk this one up to experience.

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
516 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

As everybody said, there's probably no way, you have to pay. That's why I always recommend to buy one single ticket. This time you were lucky, but next time you could have to pay the entire ticket (non refundable).

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

I'm 99% sure i'm going to have to pay

=================

You should change this by 1%.... and it's not to 98.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,457 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

This is the reason regulars here are always advising not to book flights on separate tickets. A reschedule can destroy your plans, and neither airline will assist. As others have said, be thankful it's a relatively small sum, imagine missing a longhaul leg when a short haul flight is cancelled or rescheduled, the cost could be thousands.

9. Re: Advice re: flight tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 16, 2015