We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage and connection time questions

Ramat Gan, Tel...
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage and connection time questions

In several weeks I am flying from Israel to Portugal. I'm going with ElAl to Geneva and from there continuing with TAP to Lisbon. On the return flight I am flying from Lisbon to Barcelona with TAP and continuing from Barcelona to Tel Aviv with ElAl. I bought entire trip as one ticket (i.e. one ticket all the way from Israel to Portugal and one ticket for the flight from Lisbon to Tel Aviv). My question is whether I should pick up my luggage at Geneva/Barcelona and check it in or would it be transferred from flight to flight automatically. Another question is whether 1 hour 20 minutes in Geneva and 1 hour 45 minutes in Barcelona would be enough for the connection given that I most probably would need to go through the border control and (possibly) through the luggage matter

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage and connection time questions

If you are on one ticket, your luggage will be checked through to Lisbon or Tel Aviv, and you will not need to collect it and re-check.

On the outbound flight, you will go through inwards Schengen Immigration (Passport Control) at Lisbon. You should not need to go through Passport Control at Geneva.

On the return flight, you will go through outwards Schengen Passport Control at Barcelona.

Time will be tight, but you should make the connections. Airlines do not sell impossible connections.

Ramat Gan, Tel...
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage and connection time questions

Thank you! That was helpful

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage and connection time questions

< Airlines do not sell impossible connections. >

Apart from BA when connecting through different London airports

Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage and connection time questions

Getting out some information on IAH. Connected from Emirates to a domestic United flight this past Sunday.

Had 3 hours to connect so I thought that that would be a breeze. Customs is a nightmare going through Houston. Not enough help and the help provided was rude. VERY long lines to get through customs and then going back through security. No time to eat food-go to the restroom--barely made the United flight.

For smokers, you must go outside the terminal at least 25 feet to smoke. Avoid IAH if you are connecting to a domestic flight from overseas, especially on a Sunday. What a disappointing welcome back to the United States after being on a great vacation. Come on, IAH, get your act together.

Ramat Gan, Tel...
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage and connection time questions

Well fortunately I'm not flying to Houston

6. Re: Luggage and connection time questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 14, 2015