We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Greece airport

St. George, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Athens Greece airport

I'm flying into Athens Greece on Us Airways. Arrive at 9:05 am. Need to catch a flight to Santorini at 10.30 am on Olympic airlines operated by Aegean. Is anyone familiar with the airport that could tell me if I have enough time to go through customs and retrieve my bags and still have time to catch my flight. Does anyone know if both airlines departing gates r close to each other.

Thank you

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Greece airport

Is this booked on one ticket or two separate tickets?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,333 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Greece airport

If you are on 2 tickets and so have to collect your luggage and re-check it, then I don't think you have enough time. If are on 1 ticket, the luggage gets checked through and there is a reasonable hope of making it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Greece airport

Agree with post two. If seperste tickets, very doubtful, if one ticket, it should be fine and the airline e is responsible to get you on the next flight with available seats if you miss ie inbound is delayed. If two tickets then you are on your own,

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Greece airport

Athens is a modern (opened 2002) airport so things work quite well.

There's one main terminal, with a small satellite. Flights from the US will arrive at the A gates, and flights to Santorini (like all Greek domestic flights) from one of the B gates. The plane will almost certainly be parked on a remote stand and you'll be transferred to it by bus. Boarding will start about 30 minutes before advertised departure time, and close about 15-20 minutes before.

If you are on one through ticket you do not need to claim and re-check baggage, and Customs inspection will be at Santorini (if they bother at all). In this case if you have your boarding passes already, when you arrive at Athens, follow the transfer signs and look for the departures board in the transfer area which will show the gate number for your next flight. Follow the signs and you'll find a separate Immigration area for transfer passengers. Once through there you'll be well on the way, with just security to clear. There are separate security checkpoints for each group of gates, and security can be quite strict.

Aegean encourage on-line check-in and home-printed boarding passes, or boarding passes on smartphones - have a look at their website for details. This could save you valuable time, if you can't get US Airways to issue them, as the transfer desks are often unstaffed with just a courtesy phone to the sales counter in Departures.

Now if you are on two separate tickets you're on a high risk. You will need to go through the main Immigration area, always busier, reclaim your baggage, clear Customs at Athens, go up one level to departures and join the line for check-in or bag drop at Aegean's part of the departure area. You must clear here no later than 30 minutes before scheduled departure or you'll miss the flight. Once done, go through the boarding pass check, find the gate area and go through security.

Now I've done a connection at Athens in 45 minutes with through checked baggage, but I'm an EU citizen so Immigration is much faster, and I know the airport. If you have any other questions, please ask.

St. George, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Greece airport

Thanks for the info. We booked the Santorini trip as an after thought. If we do carry on bag only do u think we would gain enough time to make the flight.

Thank you

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Greece airport

With carry-on only and checking-in online before leaving the USA, you'll make it as long as the your US Airways flight is on time.(it was today but only is 56% of the time) .

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens Greece airport

Re-book your Santorini flight; one and a half hours is not enough time to clear immigration, collect your bags etc.since you have two separate tickets booked on two different airlines. If your international flight is late, or several international flights arrive at the same time and create long lines at passport control, you could have an issue getting to your domestic flight in time. The Athens Airport is fantastic, but it is not uncommon for the departure gates on domestic flights to change -even after you've checked in, so you really need to build in some extra time.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,028 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens Greece airport

I'd also post on the Santorini forum. There are a number of regulars from North America and they should be able to answer from experience as to what you're proposing:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189433-i245-San…

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens Greece airport

This month I cleared Passport Control and retrieved my luggage in a record time of 45 minutes, so it is possible. I arrived on Delta's JFK-Athens flight at 8:45 am and we were the only flight trying to navigate through Passport Control. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are with having an hour and a half connection time. Even if your Santorini ticket is flexible,allowing you to catch a later flight, during the high season the flights to Santorini will be full. IMO, I would give myself more leeway arriving from (or going to) any international flight. Goodluck with your decision!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,652 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens Greece airport

What would you do if you have a significant delay or - very possible - schedule change on your US Airways leg? The big risk is less what the airport is like than this, on separate tickets.

I would try and build in extra time and/or buy a flexible fare on the Santorini leg.

Edited: 2:45 pm, August 15, 2014