We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates Miles

Worcester, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Emirates Miles

I have travelled with Emirates 6 times to Bangkok from Birmingham, UK via Dubai and I am due to travel again in a couple of weeks. I have 38500 miles and I fly economy, does anyone know if it is possible to get an upgrade or what i could get with these points excluding EmiratesHighStreet.

Thanks

Gavin

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates Miles

If you check out the miles calculator on the EK website, you might get some ideas. We often use miles to upgrade.

emirates.com/account/…miles-calculator.aspx

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates Miles

I had a similar amount of miles last year, and it was enough to upgrade to Business for 1 leg of the 4 for a return flight from Newcastle to BKK, I don't know how many miles it would have taken to upgrade for all 4 legs ?.

I used my miles to get a free return flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong instead

Have a look at the Emirates website & look at all the different options

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates Miles

All the info is on the EK website, log in to your Skywards account and there is a miles calculator giving you an idea of what/where you can go with your miles and costs .

Just as an idea a return UK to BKK in Business which Im looking at for January, using miles comes out at 20750 miles with £825 in taxes etc. Given I used my miles last Nov for UK/Narita the miles were 35,000 and taxes just under £300, Then on the way back from Japan I again used miles to upgrade to 1st Class (cannot remember how many miles though) think I will prob purchase a economy ticket then upgrade with miles for BKK.

I have always found EK to be easy to deal with for upgrades and always been able to get the flights I wanted to either purchase outright with miles or upgrades.

Worcester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates Miles

How do you go about upgrading, did you do it on the day or call them 24 hours before the flight. Having just one leg of the journey upgrading is good with me. Thanks for the reply.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates Miles

If you do decide to use any spare miles buying goodies from Emirates High Street be aware of Duty and Postage as this can make items expensive.

As far as the upgrade is concerned-last time I just phoned the EK Skywards call center in Manchester and they did it all for me months before my flight but do check your booking conditions as with some fares upgrades are not permitted.

SS

Edited: 3:50 am, August 12, 2014
Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates Miles

Most of the time have done upgrades on line through my Skywards account as they have been straight forward.

However I have also rang EK as in the case of the upgrade to 1st the day before we were traveling, as this was the best way for me to do it.

I watched carefully another flight I wanted to upgrade on (again to Japan) and rang to arrange as soon as they became available, as of course on flights upgrades/redemption are limited. Again it made it easy to talk to someone at EK to arrange this.

I must say I have always found EK staff helpful when trying to organise upgrades and will try their best to try and accommodate what your looking for.

Remember it also depends on what type of upgrade your wanting saver or flexi which will cost more miles.Be prepared to not get the dates you want so I would give them a ring and see how things are now.

Good luck and come back and let us know how you got on.

UK
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates Miles

Emirates miles can be used for Easyjet flights.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates Miles

As well as....

Qantas, Alaska,TAP Portugal JAL,Virgin America, Jet, JetBlue, Korean Air, South African Airways....

Also car hire and Hotels.....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates Miles

best value is to use them to upgrade

I think you have enough for one leg. I would just call them direct (I've called and used hte online booking). Do it asap though before they sell out of BC seats.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates Miles

I think it's better value to upgrade than to redeem for an economy ticket, as they've started to charge fuel surcharge. If you're a small amount of points short of an upgrade, they can be purchased.