We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

Hyderabad, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

I booked a ticket on Indigo airlines for sector - India to Singapore for a relative. While booking I specified both First name and Surname in the ticket. However later I got to know that in my relative's passport, surname has not been mentioned.

I called up Indigo airlines requesting them the name change but they said that they will not allow any change in name and I will need to get the ticket cancelled and book new one with correct name, else the passenger will be denied boarding.

Please help me what should I do ? Do i need to re-book the ticket or will it be considered a minor issue and ignored as the first name is correct.

Edited: 2:01 pm, August 09, 2014
12 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

It's hardly a minor issue is it... Think security. Get the ticket rebooked. Is there any surname on the passport? The passenger's first name and surname on the ticket must match the passport.

Edited: 2:07 pm, August 09, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
23,143 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

As stated above by MrMarcoos, you have one and one option only. And that is to cancel and rebook the ticket.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

Are you saying that in your relative's passport, there is no surname at all? Just a given name? That's a different issue than a wrong name. Can you clarify?

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

If there is time, maybe it would be cheaper for the relative to get his passport changed to show their surname.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

You need to clarify a bit further in terms of exactly what's on our relatives passport.

Does your relatives passport say first name and last name and then surname blank and the first name and last name match the ticket?

Hyderabad, India
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

In order to avoid any issue during boarding, I got the earlier ticket cancelled and booked a new one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24,884 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

It can be quite common for Indian people not to have a surname. In lieu of this they sometimes adopt a surname that means "son of" or "daughter of" You can see remnants of this in English with names like Thompson or Tom's son.

So the person's official name might just be Mary, but if a surname is required, it might become Mary Johnson.

Leads to lots of misunderstandings in schools, where the childs "surname" doesn't match either the mother's or father's "surname", as father might be Tim son of Peter, mother might be Mary, son of John, but child would be Matthew, son of Tim. Naturally you need to substitute Indian names here, so it is not at all apparent to the English mind.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
19,415 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

Unless Mary is a ladyboy, surely it would be Mary Johnsdaughter?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24,884 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

You are of course correct, in English at least, except I don't know if that is exactly how it goes or if they just take the fathers first name, therefore Mary John. I may also not be quite correct as I am reporting an explanation which a mother gave to me when I was trying to sort out what to call different members of the family. I think I have it basically right..

10. Re: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:06 am, July 07, 2015

Reply to: Booked ticket with Surname which is not their in passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted