We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
500 reviews
Save Topic
BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

I've been planning a round the world trip with the One World planner and Trailfinders. Not a particularly difficult bit of planning. London, Manila, Sydney, NZ, into Chile, and out of Buenos Aires to LHR. The first call to Trailfinders a year ago came up with a price of between £4500 to £5000. Last week I've got around to firming up our plans. I used the online planner again, and the price through BA was £5400 leaving in January and returning to the UK at the end of March. So I've rung Trailfinders again with our itinary and got a call back 20 minutes later with a price of £2440, but booking on a Qantas RTW ticket rather than BA. The only difference in flights is going through Dubai rather than Hong Kong and then on to Manila on Emirates. The leg from Sydney to Christchurch is on Emirates (not a code share) rather than Jetstar. The rest of the flights are exactly the same, also taxes are cheaper with Qantas! This was going to be a trip of a lifetime but saving £5000 for two of us we've got money left for another RTW in a few years. Or we could blow the

Lot and go 5 star!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

Are you sure the second quote wasn't pp and the first quote for two. Seems a huge difference

Edited: 5:16 am, August 08, 2014
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

No definitely per person. Trailfinders reckons Qantas is a bit more restrictive on terms and conditions if you need to swap flights or change itinarys but to save £2500 I'll put up with that.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

I would too!!

Emirates are good. Qantas. Just used them again after many years of not on a flight from Hong Kong to melb and was very very impressed

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

I'm getting to the bottom of the pricing a little bit more now. It would seem that I can't reserve, or check certain flights on the One World website, as they are usually not released by BA or Qantas due to high demand, so I was priced at the absolute max price for that route, or an alternative route which meant doubling back on my flights. As much as I thought I had the RTW ticketing sussed out, Trailfinders know more! hence the large difference in price. I've checked again on the One World Qantas websites and the One World site still throws up big differences. I don't think its helped with the tie up between Emirates and Qantas which is not part of the One World ticketing arrangements.

uk
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

In Economy you are going to see very little difference in quality between Qantas, Emirates and BA, in fact I'd probably rate Emirates above BA in terms of quality.

I would take the saving in a heart beat.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,924 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

I would take the savings in a heartbeat also - then stay in really nice hotels with it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

Trailfinders are reputable and you generally only read good things about them and I know many who have had good experiences with them.

So another vote for the heartbeat option especially as Qantas may wise up and increase their rates.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

I've used them for 20 years now and i don't bother to look anywhere else for long haul flights. Trailfinders don't have premium rate phones or charge for credit cards.The staff are always on the ball- on a couple of occasions they've saved me money, particularly on the BA Qantas alliance by booking with one airline and using the other one to save fuel surcharges. When I read here about the troubles people get with Expedia Opodo etc etc to save a few bob its just not worth it.

9. Re: BA v Qantas RTW ticket pricing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 10, 2015