We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check in times for internal USA flights

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Check in times for internal USA flights

Hi folks, planning our mega trip and need some info. please. When flying from the UK to the USA we have to check in three hours before departure. We have an internal flight from Washington to Orlando and I was wondering how long before the flight do we have to check in. Hopefully it will be less than three hours! I hate spending time in airports. The trip isn't until May 15 so got plenty of time to get sorted out.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,164 posts
882 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Check in times for internal USA flights

DeaconBlue,

Is it safe to assume that your Fairmont is the one in Georgetown (as I do not see any other Fairmont properties, but might have missed some)? If so, and depending on the day of the week, and then the time of day (plus considerations for the month of the year too), it's anywhere from 45 mins. to 90 mins. from downtown Washington, DC, to Dulles (IAD), if that is where you are flying from. One night in an ice storm, it did take us right at 4 hours to make the trip, but that was a special event.

Both DC and IAD airport are subject to "rush hour traffic" and "grid lock," as business folk fly in/out, head to their offices in the city, and as many, many vacationers (often very large groups of school kids), during certain days/times. It can be bad enough, that we will leave downtown after the last meeting, and just overnight at the Hilton by IAD, especially if we have an early departure. Of course, we have already determined that I hate to rush... [Grin]

We always us a limo service to/from downtown and IAD, and have always been happy. There are shuttle services and also DC taxis. However, we long ago found that the taxis were most often a frightening version of "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride." After about 6 horrible trips (each one horrible in some way, or the other), we just gave up on them, and now use a company called Boston Coach, and my wife maintains an account with them for DC, as well as several other eastern US cities. I cannot tell you what they charge, as the bills go through her business account - sorry. We have never used a shuttle service, but I see those all over the airport.

I did not see your dates (both month, and then day of the week, please), nor the times of your flight, but that info might be very important. For instance, if you are flying out mid-day, mid-week in say October, things should be pretty calm. Mondays (morning), Thursdays and Fridays (afternoons and evenings) can be busy with business travelers. Weekends can be busy with tourists and children leaving from, or returning to school. If I had to pick a good time/day, I would say Tuesday and Wednesday, and around Noon, but no guarantees.

Good luck, and hope that you enjoy the US.

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,164 posts
882 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Check in times for internal USA flights

<<This is my husband's retirement trip and I want it to be perfect for him.>>

I had not caught this last statement. Again, if your Fairmont IS the Georgetown hotel, and depending on time and day of the week, AND if you are flying out of IAD, I would now lean even more to a car and driver. I would speak to your hotel's concierge about car service. He/she might have a very good service, possibly cheaper than what we pay (what the heck THAT is... ). Considering your travels, you do not want to do as we often do, and loose a night at the Fairmont for any "airport hotel." We are never on holiday, but in DC for work, with a need to get back home ASAP for more work - however nice, no airport hotel is likely to be worth the effort for you - where they are for us.

Also, there is a very active District of Columbia board on TA, and they are always helpful with tips and suggestions. I hang out there a bit, but mainly regarding fine-dining restaurants and some hotel questions. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28969-i39-Distric…

Fly safely, and enjoy greatly,

Hunt

13. Re: Check in times for internal USA flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 06, 2015