We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

qatar qmiles redemption problems

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
qatar qmiles redemption problems

yesterday, 23:24

We are trying via Qatar's web site to claim a points + cash redemption for a bus. class flight from Melbourne (MEL) to ANY European city but the first available flight out of MEL is 2 months away 8/10/14 and the first available return is 19/11/14 ..YES November. Most of the flights require 2x the points anyway so the actual value of the hard earned qmiles is devalued by half. Has anyone actually been able to claim a reward BUS. class flight in peak times i.e May to September? It seems Qatar is only allowing redemptions during low season. This is a bit sneaky.

29 replies to this topic
Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
8 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

I have over 60000 miles, gold member. I have tried so many different ways of redeeming these miles. Flights, upgrades etc. nothing has worked and so my miles continue to accumulate . My qcredits expire in December and I feel the loyalty programme has not worked for me. I have been a member since 2011. Your post has made me feel that I am not the only one!

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

Don't quite understand your timescale. It's 20th September today, so how is 8th October 'two months away'? By my reckoning it's 2 weeks 4 days.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

original post was 2nd August, so was just over 2 months away when the original OP posted

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

Thanks for your posts, It really is a scam by Qatar, In fact I am just about to write to a major newspaper travel writer who I casually know and ask him to put a fire under Qatar, Here in Australia Qantas always gets bad press on their FF program but I have been able to at least redeem something from Qantas. Qatar,like other posters say, is hopeless with on ground service. In future we might just find the best airfare and go with that carrier and forget any loyalty. Qatar has.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,783 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

Good luck in your newspaper complaint . My opinion is that almost all ff redemptions at most airlines have become increasingly difficult to redeem or redemptions are only available at higher mileage rates. Many travel blogs will recommend that someone starts searching awards as early as 330 days out. I'm not sure I agree that it's "scam" worthy.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

It's not a scam.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

if its not a scam why is it now impossible to get a rewards seat with either miles or miles and cash for the next 6 months without paying twice the "correct" miles? For one month there are no rewards seats at all, even with double points. This is "off season" in australia ATM so why no seats available as Qatar have just emailed all their privilige members with special deals so there must be some. Qatar are making it as difficult as possible with their redemption rules and then screwing their members for twice the miles they advertise are required . Its a scam if a TV is advertised at $100 but the store has none.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,783 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

<if its not a scam why is it now impossible to get a rewards seat with either miles or miles and cash for the next 6 months without paying twice the "correct" miles?>

It's not a scam because you agreed to the program rules when you signed up. Buried in the layers of rules, it's noted that availability can change; it's also noted that program rules can change. No one ever promises 100% availability, as you've noted by being able to book at a higher than "correct" rate. In my experience with US-based airlines, until it gets closer to flight day, most only offer 2-3 seats at lower redemption rates period. I really don't view FF programs as a right, it's a privilege and it varies - and I often book at higher rates, if it suits my needs.

C J
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

The Privilege Club Team in Doha said I could have a return London to Chengdu flight early next year for 80,000 Qmiles, but when I sought further details from this 'Team' it clammed up, that is, it has not replied to the email I sent two weeks ago; a further email I sent five days ago has also been ignored. Today I posted a letter to the airline's Customer Care Team, P.O. Box 22550, Doha, Qatar wondering if it could answer my enquiry. Any advice what to do if that team also ignores my enquiry?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: qatar qmiles redemption problems

An airline will carefully judge how many seats can be sold using miles carefully based on how many seats they think they can sell. Peak season, to any popular destinations just won't work because they know they can sell all the seats on the plane. You have to be flexible, organised and be willing to compromise to use air miles. If you're clever about it and get the flights you can upgrade and save an awful lot of money. In most cases passengers expectations are way out, and most need to have a good understanding of each frequent flyer programme to get the most out of it.

Reply to: qatar qmiles redemption problems
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted