We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

Hello,

Not too long ago, I won $1,000 in flight vouchers on Delta after being bumped from a flight. I was very happy, to say the least.

Now, the question is how to use them. I want to use them to fly to Europe, but I also want to get the most value from the vouchers possible.

My ideal trip would be a tour of Western Europe. How should I book my flights?

Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

The first thing to do is to understand exactly the terms and conditions of those vouchers. Do they cover taxes and fees, the YQ (international surcharge) or do they cover base fare only?

If they're an across the board discount off everything then that's easy. If they covered say base fare only then you'd need to think about a long and/or expensive set of flights to get the full value.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

I checked, and they cover all fares and taxes. It covers all Delta mainline and connection flights, KLM/Air France flights, and all Delta codeshares.

With that said, how does one get the best value? I'm looking at a trip to Portugal, and the vouchers would pay for almost the entire trip. But I don't want to book without careful consideration, as I don't want to limit myself to Portugal. I'm thinking of a tour of Europe starting there, and going to Berlin.

South of England
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

Once you are in Europe with careful planing you will be able to travel around fairly cheaply.

Many parts of Europe have access to good rail networks. For your trip between Portugal and Germany you will likely want to look at flying. Check airline sites like Ryanair, Easyjet and Air Berlin for reasonable fares.

Once arriving in Lisbon consider a rail or car journey to the Algarve, exploring to coast as you travel down. After some time in the Algarve you will find more flight options from Faro up to Various points in Germany.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

I checked, and they cover all fares and taxes. It covers all Delta mainline and connection flights, KLM/Air France flights, and all Delta codeshares.

=====

Excellent news. Just wanted to check as some of my (other airline) vouchers haven't covered those and some people do get stung.

For your trip If I were you I'd head over to some of the Europe forums to help plan your full stay. As much of Europe can be covered by train there's also the Train Travel forum.

Enjoy your trip.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

i plan on visiting in Winter 2014/15, since I'll have the time and money to travel at that time, and prices should be lower. I was thinking about Porto to explore the port wines there.

My trip idea is essentially a long, two-week tour. I'm thinking of Portugal, Spain (Barcelona, maybe Madrid), France (not sure where), a side trip to the UK (London and Manchester), Brussels, Amsterdam, and then Berlin, but I'm open to new ideas. This will be my first time far away from the USA. I want to make the most of this!

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

9 cites in 14 days seems an awful lot of traveling and not a lot of sightseeing, think you will be spending more time on planes, trains and buses then seeing anything.

Maybe cut down your wish list and pick the must see places and enjoy them more.

I do understand you want to make the most of your trip, but think about it, you could spend 2 weeks in any one of those countries alone and not see it all, and the amount you are thinking of trying to see you will only be spending a day and a bit in each place.

I have been to Porto but would change that to Lisbon it is a beautiful city with lots to see and do and so easy to get around, and if you wanted to go to the cost Cascais is only 30 minuets away on the train which is a lovely little town with the best ice cream!

Barcelona has lots to see and do be careful of beggars and pickpockets there it is rife!

Amsterdam also nice and easy to get around but will be cold in the winter time.

London lots to see and do, my home city and I have not seen it all yet!

Manchester I have only stayed there on football away days, so can't help out much.

Brussels you can get anywhere in Europe by train from here, I caught the train to Maastricht from here but have not seen the city.

Not been to Germany so can't help there.

I would get a couple of good guide books on Europe and work out what are you must sees and go from there.

Happy planning!

Deb

7. Re: Best Way to Use Flight Vouchers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 31, 2015