We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When To Book

Wilmette,IL
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
When To Book

Am going with my daughter and 2 teen age granddaughters to Rome next June. When do we book? I have looked at fares from American and Aer Lingus and an online travdel agency. The fares vary widely I prefer no stop and we have two airlines from Chciago that go non stop to Rome,but for a better deal I would make one stop. The AA fare quoted today is outrageous, about $2200 for coach.

thanks

S

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When To Book

You should try to book when its cheapest.

Book direct with an airline avoids the hassle, loss, heartache and rip offs that is about 20% of the posts here.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When To Book

No way to know when fares are cheapest. Watch for a while since you have time. Then if you see a sale fare you think is reasonable, book without waiting. But don't expect Rome in summertime to be cheap. It's prime time for a super popular destination. Try going more off season if you can to save some money.

Edited: 5:33 pm, July 28, 2014
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When To Book

You are going to pay for nonstop. If you are willing to stop, I see fares as low as $1102 on Turkish and $1204 on UA. I probably would wait a while to book these anyway, though I'd be surprised to see anything lower than about $1000 for summer travel.

Whatever you book, make sure everyone has a frequent flyer account for the airline so you get credit for the miles.

Edited: 5:40 pm, July 28, 2014
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
165 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When To Book

Now is way too early. Somewhere between 8 and 16 weeks out is generally the cheapest, but plenty of exceptions apply. The price difference between June 1 and June 30 could easily be $500. For mid-June you are probably looking at around $1200. The odds are that all of the flights in June are going to be full or nearly full.

Sign up for email alerts from the relevant airlines and sites like Kayak to see if there are early sales. Book directly with airline unless you can justify the savings being worth the risk of something going wrong.

5. Re: When To Book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, July 28, 2014
Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
561 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When To Book

There is no such thing as 'too early' if you know the price history of the route and get a deal. Sometimes the cheapest ticket is 330 days out.

Wilmette,IL
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When To Book

Thanks for all the replies. I have traveled several times to Europe but almost always on FF miles. I am facing sticker shock. Great suggestions to request alerts. Will get one for Kayak as well

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When To Book

I'm going to seriously disagree with waiting eight to 16 weeks out. I track airfare to Europe from the US west coast on a regular basis, and I've never seen the price for summer travel go down two to four months out. It just seems to go up as the cheaper fare classes sell out.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When To Book

"Somewhere between 8 and 16 weeks out is generally the cheapest, but plenty of exceptions apply."

That advice might apply to US domestic routes but is seriously flawed for a transatlantic flight to a popular destination in summer months. In my experience long haul flights can get very expensive if you leave it that late before booking.

I booked flights to the US in May for travel in October and today (12 weeks before travel) they are close to double the price although this is of course only one example.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When To Book

You should buy when there is a sale on that covers your dates. That likely won't be until perhaps this autumn and maybe even after Xmas.