We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving in the middle

California
7 posts
Save Topic
Leaving in the middle

No, I don't mean leaving in the middle of a flight - but... I bought a round trip ticket (City C to City A via City B) and used the first half a few weeks ago. I am scheduled to use the return portion of the ticket in a few weeks. It calls for me to leave City A and change planes in City B with a final destination of City C.

The problem is, I don't want to go to City C. I want to stay in City B for a week or so and then return to City A. But I don't want to pay the $100 change fee. Can I just get off the plane in City B and stay there? What happens when I try to get a flight from City B to City A? Should I get the return flight on another airline? Do they check up on these things? Can I just tell them I changed my mind and I'm not getting on the connecting flight?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving in the middle

What happens when you get off at city B and don't go on to C is this......the rest of your travel gets cancelled by the airline so you end up having to buy another plane ticket altogether. You can either call the airline and pay that change fee to get the ticket the way you want or you could do plan B. That would be to go from C to B, get off spend the time you want there and then book a ticket from B to A. However, that would be a one way rather than a round trip booking. Unless you are flying Southwest, the one way ticket might cost more than just calling the airline, changing your current ticket and paying the change fee.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving in the middle

It depends on the actual restrictions on the ticket. If the ticket conditions allow a stopover on City B, then I would think you're are allow to stay at City B.

I can remember there was a British Airways flight from London to Beijing via Hong Kong. You can get on the plane in London with a ticket to Beijing, but not allowed to make a stopover in Hong Kong, although it did stop in Hong Kong to drop off passengers with tickets to Hong Kong.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving in the middle

It will be cheaper for you just to pay the $100 change fee.

Of course you are free to leave the plane in city B and not board the next flight. (It's a bit more problematic if the plane is just making a stopover en route - you might not even be allowed to leave the plane as a transit passenger, and it will certainly cause problems if you do.) But in the first senario you will almost certainly have the rest of your trip cancelled and need to buy a new ticket which will almost certainly be more expensive than the change fee.

Plus, make sure your bags aren't checked all the way through to C or you might never see them again!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving in the middle

This might be easier to understand if you used real city names. Are you starting in C, going to A, then to B and booked to go back to C?

You said you already used half the ticket, so you've already flown C to B to A, and you want to go A to B and then buy a seperate ticket for B to A? Are you scheduled to spend a couple of days in B anyway?

If you're talking about not using the last segment of your flight, and you were supposed to be stopping there overnight anyway, it might be possible, just call the airline and ask. However, if you were only supposed to be in B for an hour or so, it'll be more complicated.

Your ticket may have been priced for a return trip, and open-jaw would be more expensive. It used to be more expensive to fly 1 way than the 2 flights of a round trip, so people would book a round trip, and then not come home. Travel agents would be prohibitted from knowingly selling these tickets. And if you were doing it regularly, the airline might stop selling you tickets. (Nowadays I think it's a little more reasonable, 1 way only costs about the same as roundtrip on airlines that still use that price structure, but they probably still won't appreciate you booking a seat that they could have sold to someone else).

If you're supposed to be going right through, the check-in agent might be required to check your bags right through. As an airline employee, they aren't allowed to help you "cheat" the airline out of extra cash, either by making a return trip an open jaw, or getting around the change fee. If you allowed something to go through, and then missed the next flight, the flight would be delayed so they could pull your bag off, then they'd charge you under some terrorism law. You might be able to get away with it if you just have carry-on, but that carry-on can't have toothpaste or contact lense solution, etc. I don't think the $100 would be worth the hassle of having to pack light and find all the important stuff when you land.

I suggest calling and asking because if they know you're going to miss one flight, they may waive the change fee knowing they can re-sell that seat to someone else without having to give you another seat on another flight. And that way you can avoid the baggage issue.

The other people are assuming you paid for A to B, B to C, C to B and B to A, in that order. If you don't take any of the first 3 flights, then the airline will cancel all the flights after the one you missed. So if you wanted to do A to B, and then B to A, skipping out on C, then your B to A would be cancelled, so you'd have to buy another ticket to replace B to A, which would probably be more than the $100 change fee.

If you just missed the last flight, they won't stop you from buying another ticket somewhere else. And they won't check their system and say you can't buy the B to A ticket because you're scheduled to be in city C at that time.

5. Re: Leaving in the middle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 19, 2009