We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

This Delta itinerary I am looking at has us arriving at CDG at 8:35 am in Terminal E, with a connecting flight leaving from Terminal F at 10:10 am. We are coming from Houston and connecting to Florence.

I am unfamiliar with the process at CDG. Will we have to get our bags, go through passport control, immigration, customs, etc? Is 95 minutes enough time?

Would you book the 10:10 flight? Or schedule something with a little more padding?

California
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

It should be all right, but I always prefer to book a connecting flight that has 'a little more padding' at notorious airports like CDG and LHR if possible. If you are traveling on one airline then your baggage will be checked through to your destination. You'll go through immigration, and the time spent there depends on how many other flights have arrived the same time as yours.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

One hour and thirty-five minutes..... it's doable as long as your incoming flight is on time and you go directly to the next gate - don't stop to shop or use the bathroom. Also, you will need to go though immigration and most likely another security check. I prefer at least 2 hours when transiting at CDG.

Edited: 9:26 pm, July 22, 2014
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,150 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

CDG is not fun for connections but definitely do-able. A key is that this is one ticket so it's then the carrier's responsibility to get you there. As noted, don't dawdle. It can be deceptive as to how long it really takes there.

Have fun.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
16,955 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

Here's a useful guide that explains the 'Flight Connections' process for passengers who are transferring airside from Terminal 2E to 2F.

easycdg.com/1/…

You will have an immigration check (as you will be entering the Schengen Zone at this point - there will be no check in Florence as it will be treated effectively as a domestic arrival) and security check en-route. Then you go directly to the departure gate.

You do not need to collect bags as these will be transferred to the Florence flight.

I personally would book the 10.10, as I know that if I missed it because the first flight was delayed it would be the airline's responsibility to get me to my destination at no extra cost to myself. For a European connecting flight this usually just means rebooking you onto the next flight.

USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

Thank you that is very helpful.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

CDG is one of the most regularly cited "worst airports" by NY Times frequent travelers. We've even thru it twice, once going to Istanbul, once to Moscow. Each involved only Air France flights yet the connection was time consuming and there were extra layers of security. Getting to Istanbul there was no signage at all and we found our connection only by approaching a line of passengers and asking them "is this the flight to Istanbul?" and several said "well, we hope so!" (it was)

Allow extra time.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
23,164 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

I agree with wirewiper. I too have an open dislike for CDG, and bear in mind, there is a significant difference between doable, and what is practical. Adding to ones stress unnecessarily is never a wise idea, especially if you are not pressed for something you cannot reschedule.

I would not hesitate to book the later flight.

Edited: 11:54 pm, July 24, 2014
8. Re: Layover in Paris CDG - Enough Time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 26, 2015