We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildly varying fares MCO -LHR on Aer Lingus?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Wildly varying fares MCO -LHR on Aer Lingus?

I'm watching fares with Aer Lingus for next year. Plans are to fly in LHR-SFO mid June economy with exit seat upgrade if I can bag one, and return from Orlando 3 weeks later (business) as we are travelling around and our final destination is New Orleans. Until yesterday flights back from Orlando business were fairly affordable coming in about £750 which I was prepared to pay. When I checked last night the business fares have shot up, it's actually cheaper to fly business flex than business.

Doing a search this morning, if I wanted to fly from orlando in 2 weeks times the fare is £881 business as opposed to £1421 for next June. (However the flight out would be a ridiculous £2600!)

It now looks like the cheapest option returning is via Boston, but this would mean catching a horrendous connecting flight from MSY, the day before,and there is only one direct flight with South West, or Delta, paying hefty baggage fees and leaving at something like 6am.

Any ideas please?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildly varying fares MCO -LHR on Aer Lingus?

"Until yesterday flights back from Orlando business were fairly affordable coming in about £750 which I was prepared to pay."

So why didn't you? The advice here is basically to buy when the fare is one you can afford and are happy to pay, and not look back.

Now that the fare is one you are not happy to pay, your only options are to look at other routes or wait and see if the fares come back down.

Edited: 5:31 am, July 19, 2014
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildly varying fares MCO -LHR on Aer Lingus?

because the date we will return hasn't been released yet, flights only bookable 330 days in advance

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,653 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildly varying fares MCO -LHR on Aer Lingus?

Don't worry about fares for other days, just see what the prices look like for your date of travel. And, remember that it's not always wise to buy as soon as flights are released for booking. Fares are often higher then as airlines know that passengers are more desperate to buy than they are to sell at that time.

4. Re: Wildly varying fares MCO -LHR on Aer Lingus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 21, 2015