We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

1 post
Save Topic
Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

I have a question regarding the buddy pass for southwest. My brother works at southwest and has obtained many passes for me and my family to use. Really lucky because im in a long distance relationship and my girlfriend lives in NY, while im in vegas. The buddy pass has 5 pieces of paper stapled together, 4 as tickets and 1 as a receipt. My question is, can I go to niagara falls, which is in Buffalo/Niagara, NY and then drive to new york and fly from laguardia back to vegas? I would use my 1st ticket to go to midway then connect to buffalo, drive to ny a few days later and fly from laguardia to midway then back to vegas. Im asking to see if it's possible because i've only used a buddy pass once before and it was from nv to laguardia and back. Sorry if im confusing anyone.

TL;DR want to know if i can use a southwest buddy pass to fly from las vegas -> midway -> buffalo,NY then Laguardia,NY -> midway -> las vegas

33 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,614 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

Why not have your brother contact Southwest and ask them if an "open jaw" routing is allowed with their buddy passes? Or, if there's a website for the passes, you can look at the Terms & Conditions and see if it's covered.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

Buddy (friends/family) pass policies vary by airline. You need to, as suggested, as your brother, or contact Southwest yourself. We used such passes with Delta. Each leg was considered separate. We were on standby (lowest level of standby) for each leg. No guarantees we'd get on any particular flight. We flew from DCA to LAX (changed planes at JFK, since flights through ATL were filled; we were cautioned that once we got to JFK the flight on to LAX wasn't guaranteed).

After a few days at LAX, we tried to go to Honolulu, didn't get seats, so we flew to Maui. Paid our own way, on Hawaiian, to Kauai and then to Honolulu. So we had a gap between Delta flights. Then Delta, using the buddy passes again (didn't get on our first flight from HNL to LAX, so spent the night at an airport hotel).

Edited: 9:43 am, July 19, 2014
Norfolk, Virginia...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

is there a limit on the weight in luggage on buddy pass

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
316 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

You will be required to adhere to the same luggage policy as all passengers. Check their website for that info.

Norfolk, Virginia...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

how many hours is it from norfolk,va to san diego

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
316 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

Venise, Southwest.com or ask who gave you the pass.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,312 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

<<how many hours is it from norfolk,va to san diego>>

If non-stop, I would guess about 4.5 hours, as IAD to PHX is between 3.5 and 4.

Enjoy,

Hunt

West Chicago...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

i have a buddy pass and wonder if 2 people can use both ticket to fly to ca and rent a car for the trip home.

that is a round trip pass,abd 2 people fly one way?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

Ask the person from whom you got the pass.

Virginia Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question

no, this is not how the buddy pass works.

My mom work's for southwest. The buddy passes will have 5 slips. 1 departure, 1 departure duplicate (not an extra ticket) 1 return 1 return duplicate (not an extra ticket) and a receipt. Only 1 person per buddy pass. When you go check in for the flight you are on the standby list.

Reply to: Southwest Airlines buddy pass question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted