We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finnair ticket name change

Hull
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Finnair ticket name change

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice. Back in January me and my boyfriend booked flights to Thailand with finnair flying in august. We have just split up and obviously don't want to go on holiday together. My friend has said he will take the ticket so I phoned finnair who said there was no way they could change the name on the ticket.

Is there anyway of getting round this without my friend having to pay a lot more money for the same flight?!

Thanks!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finnair ticket name change

No, no way around it. Tickets are non-transferable with most non-LCC's.

Edited: 10:38 am, July 16, 2014
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finnair ticket name change

Some tickets are non-changable, non refundable so if Finnair says no then I guess it's a no.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finnair ticket name change

He will have to buy another ticket yes, but he can look around for different carriers, I guess you don't actually have to fly together,,,it's more about the resort, right? So he might be able to get a good deal elsewhere. Howver finnair is usually one of the lower cost ones, so possibly not feasible to find a better deal, but worth looking,

Hull
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finnair ticket name change

Thanks for the replies!

Yea we've found a flight an hour later for not much more. We were thinking if he still booked a different flight with finnair would he be able to switch on to my flight when we get to the airport or is that completely unfeasable?!

It is def about the destination but I can't say I'm looking forward to a long trip with no company ha

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,250 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finnair ticket name change

Only way he'd be able to switch is if he paid a change fee. And that's only if the ticket allows it and your flight isn't fully booked.

Hull
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finnair ticket name change

Yea I thought that might be the case.

Well seen as there is def going to be an empty seat I don't see why he shouldn't be able to!

I'm going to try again and see if they will switch the name but I doubt they will.

Thanks for the help!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finnair ticket name change

They won't do it, and there won't be an empty seat, either you will cancel it and they will resell it or they will sell it at the airport to someone on stand by,

Even if there is an empty seat,,they don't care, they still have the revenue for it and of course fly with less weight so less fuel.

Airlines don't transfer tickets, because what would happen is all the crappy agencies out there would buy every seat, and then sell them on for a huge profit,

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finnair ticket name change

So.....you have asked the airline and they have said no, then you've asked here on TA and been told the answer is no in several replies, but you are going to ask the airline again anyway. Glutton for punishment aren't you ?!

Edited: 12:44 pm, July 16, 2014
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finnair ticket name change

Like the X Factor auditions, she has received four nos but refuses to leave the stage.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finnair ticket name change

I doubt if you'll believe me since you haven't believed anyone else but tickets on planes belong to the person who booked them and cannot just be transferred to someone else by changing a name! You cannot legally give/sell the ticket to someone else.

Good luck trying to change airline policy!