We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes from US to UK?

Birmingham
10 posts
Save Topic
Cigarettes from US to UK?

Hi I don't smoke but a friend wants me to but her a carton if cigarettes from orlando airport.... I was thinking of jst buying the one box with 20 cigs in but she told me she wants a carton if 200 if I get this would I have to declare it? And if I get less then 200 would I have to declare it? I need fast answers leaving tomorrow.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

you are allowed to bring in 200 cigarettes from the US duty free.

Edited: 10:58 am, July 13, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
26,552 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Yes, it's fine, you don't declare,,,and no point bringing a smoker one pack of 20 :-))

3. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, July 14, 2014
4. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, July 14, 2014
Birmingham
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Thank you. I need to buy them without my dad knowing. So I don't want to be stopped and be told to take it out of the bag.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Actually, you are not permitted to bring in 200 cigarettes tax free for a friend. In the words of HMRC

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/…arrivingnoneu.htm

" you can bring in a certain amount of duty/tax free goods for your own use - known as an 'allowance'. "

Thus you may only bring them in for your own use, not for a friend. If you were stopped and asked if they were for your own use, would you be able to answer affirmatively ?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

What could possibly go wrong....

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

If you were stopped and asked if they were for your own use, would you be able to answer affirmatively ?

---------------------------------

You'd have to say yes to avoid the duty but then your dad may force you to smoke the lot in one go to teach you a lesson. Best to say no to your friend.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
15,944 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

How old are you? If you're legally old enough to buy them why would dad care?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Not once was I asked about cigarettes I bought duty free, as long as you're in the limit, worst case a big argument with your dad.

Oh, you have to be at least 18 to bring them.