We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Domestic/ international transfer help

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
US Domestic/ international transfer help

Hi,

After spending a few weeks in US this coming December, my wife and I will be departing Dulles International Airport for LAX flying with AA. The flight arrives Terminal 4 at 9.20pm (Flight QF3082).

We will then transfer to Qantas flight QF94 departing Terminal B at 10.50pm to return home to Melbourne. All flights are on the same ticket itinerary.

2 questions:

When checking in at Dulles, will our baggage be checked through to our connecting international flight or will we have to collect it at LAX and have it checked again?

How concerned should I be about the tight timeframe in arriving domestic and connecting international at LAX?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

You are on one ticket and the 2 airlines are partners so your luggage should be checked through and you won't see it again until you land in Melbourne.

You WILL have to go outside the secure area to change terminals so you will have to go through security again in LAX. It is kind of a tight connection to do that since most international flights actually start boarding 1 hr. before take off. I'd want more time in case the first flight is at all late.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

Your luggage will be checked through. You don't have to claim it. You only need to get yourself from one gate to the other.

Ahead of an international flight, I'd be extremely concerned with only 90 minutes. If everything is on time, you should be fine as long as you hurry. T4 at LAX is right next to the Tom Brady International Terminal, which I think is what you mean by Terminal B. But you still have to exit one terminal, walk over to the other, and clear security. I would go straight over and get through security just in case there's a long line. And Hope you don't have any delays on the first flight leaving Dulles.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

OK, so its seems likely the bag will go through and we will not see them until Melbourne. That's great.

However, I am reading conflicting ideas about the transfer from Terminal 4 to Tom Bradley International.

This thread: http://tinyurl.com/p68fyo3 indicates Qantas shuttles bypass security and take connecting flight directly from T4 to TBI air-side.

This is further supported by the Qantas website here: http://tinyurl.com/m9mqc4 which displays the shuttle map as arriving on the air-side of TBI, and stating that on transfers from T4 to TBI you take the shuttle and go directly to departure gate.

However, as the first two posters state and many other forums, we may have to exit T4 entirely and proceed to TBI and go through security again.

Can anyone clarify?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

WHile I have no knowledge of the situation, I would believe in the shuttle--especially since the website talks about it. Don't forget that many responding on this forum are speaking in generalities. Shuttles that stay inside security are the exception, not the norm.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

IF Qantas has its own shuttle that transfers passengers within security that is great!

I didn't know about that but I must say that on the Qantas web page linked above it does not say that the shuttle is within security. I imagine it is or else they wouldn't bother to have it!

In other airports where these shuttles run the airlines usually show maps so you know where to get the shuttle and where it stops at the other terminal .

It's great that Qantas has this for you.

It is not usual at all so you are lucky!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,520 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

"It is not usual at all so you are lucky!"

There are more of these dedicated inter- terminal transit buses appearing. But, you'll never see them on the airport websites and so you have to go looking for them or, as here, just find out about them. I too was NOT aware of this one until this thread.

These type of dedicated transit buses are operated and funded by the airline(s) and are usually solely for their own passengers. They are usually run to bypass an otherwise unnecessary process that would delay their pax. In this case it's to bypass the additional security screening - if you've already cleared US security at another airport and stay airside there is no need to reclear security at LAX other than the layout of the airport.

Other examples that exist (or at least have existed in the past) are -

Chicago (ORD) between American's T3 and international T5, for AA domestic to BA international.

San Francisco (SFO) between Continental's and later United Express at T1 and United mainline at T3 and Intl G. Now discontinued as no UA flights use T1.

London Heathrow (LHR) between Virgin Atlantic Little Red domestic arrivals at T1 (moving to T2) and VS international departures at T3.

OP - if the Qantas website states that bus exists, it's pretty much certain that it does. You're in luck.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

USBusinessTraveler, I know these shuttles exist in many airports like Delta has them at JFK and United has them at EWR and ORD.

I meant that they were not usual for travelers using LAX which is the airport under discussion.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

We used the Qantas shuttle at LAX when flying from JFK to Melbourne. We had to change planes at LAX and did not go through security again. You go to gate 44, staff were there to direct us. Very quick and easy.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

Given the nightmare that connecting in LAX can be, you are one lucky pax, OP. I've had 2.5 hours to change planes back to Canada and used 2.25 of them to get to the gate. They were "last call"ing my name and the door closed before I stowed my overhead and sat down.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Domestic/ international transfer help

The shuttle is the way to go. Just present your boarding pass to them and you are on your way.