We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Our flight from Seattle is scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam at 8:15, and our flight to Edinburgh departs Amsterdam at 10:00, all booked through Delta. As long as there isn't a delay in our arrival, is this a reasonable amount of time to catch the flight to Edinburgh?

In April, I had a SEA -> LHR -> EDI flight with 3 hours, and that was a lot of time, considering we had to go through immigration, etc... in LHR. If I understand correctly, and I may not..., we would only need to pass through a security check at AMS, saving immigration/customs for Edinburgh, is that correct?

London
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Correct. In AMS you stay "airside - non Schengen zone", effectively not entering the Netherlands at all. You'll do immigration and customs on arrival into EDI.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Minimum Connection Time is an hour. Its always preferable to fly via a third country as then you get to avoid the immigration stuff - customs is done at your final destination, not your point of entry

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

I travel Settle or Portland to AMS then onto Leeds Bradford regularly. Obviously if you arrive on time then I would be happy with the connection time. As previous posters have said you remain airside and clear immigration and collect any checked bags at your final destination.

Out of all my options, Delta is my preferred carrier in cattle class

UK
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

"Minimum Connection Time is an hour"

It's actually 40 minutes at AMS.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Yes I have a 40 mins connection coming up :-)

With 1.45 you should have time for a coffee, there are a few places along Pier D . Then you are near your departure gate

Norddeutschland
Level Contributor
289 posts
791 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

+1 1:45 in AMS makes for a very relaxed connection (given your flight to AMS is on time of course).

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Agree with above, 1:45 in AMS is very good. No problem. Even if you incoming flight is 30 minutes late it will be fine.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Hi. Delta flights leave AMS-EDI regularly. Today for example there is a Delta AMS-EDI flight at 10.22 and another at 12.22.

(There is not one leaving at 1000)

Anyway, point being if your incoming flight is delayed you should be able to switch to a later flight. 1hr 45 minutes is plenty of time if no delays.

Abs :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Once you have done this you will see how easy it is and wish all airports were like Schiphol so please don't worry. The Irish bar on pier D does a pretty good breakfast. 1h45 is over twice the minimum connection time especially for Non Schengen to Non Schengen. Here is an article what I wrote about transferring at Schiphol

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c170368/Amste…

Abs there's definitely a flight at 10:00 every day

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SEA to AMS, AMS to EDI: 1 hour 45 minutes enough time?

Hi ronaldo!

Happy to be proven wrong. I was using this website: www.amsterdam-airport.com/departures.html

I can't see a Delta AMS-EDI flight until 1022. I must be reading it wrong, sorry!

Abs /)