We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates excess charges on baggage

Brisbane
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates excess charges on baggage

My husband and I flew home from Venice in May with Emirates. We had just come off a cruise ship with no way to check the weight of our luggage. We put our bags in to be weighed and came in over the 30kg per person limit. The woman spoke virtually no English, she was Italian. She told us the bags were over and said don't worry, go and pay the excess and come back with a receipt. At no time did she let us know that it was $44 per kg over and above the limit. I looked at my husband and said, we should take them back and repack them. The woman saw us discussing what to do and before we had a chance to grab them back, she pushed the button to send them on. I said "stop!!" but she said, don't worry, just go and pay and you can get your boarding passes. We went to pay and was presented with a bill of 600 euros. We went cold. We had to pay, there was no way back.

I want to know if anyone else has had the same experience as us??

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,584 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

Sorry that you exceeded the max. allowable weight for that airline, but things often happen that way.

For our international travel on UA, we have a very hefty weight allowance, being 1K fliers. I have never shared that allowance with my lovely wife, as she would push things to the very limits. I always come in about 15 lbs. below those limits, and that works well, since I might have to heft the bags onto the EuroStar, or similar.

By the UA limits, my wife could do two 70# bags (~ 32kg), and so could I. That would be ~128kg of luggage!) However, my back would give out, if we even came close to those limits.

One must play the game, and the airlines set the rules.

Good luck,

Hunt

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

Sorry this happened to you. For future trips you should consider buying a travel luggage scale like this: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-8120-Digital-Luggage-Scale/dp/B001FWXFP4/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403752902&sr=1-2&keywords=travel+luggage+scale.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

I'm sorry, but your posts reads as if you are somewhat trying to blame the agent. By my math you were 13 kg over. I'm not sure how you could have repacked that, I also don't understand how you didn't know you were over and weigh your bags on an empty belt before you got to check in.

You must have known how much the bags weighed on departure and that you had added stuff. 13kg is a lot over.

I am unsure how you did not know the charges,,they are clearly explained on the airlines website. You could have checked,, cruise ships have computers. Or you could have asked her. As said, you must have known your bags were substantially over. This is not a couple of kilos we are talking about. The charges are pretty standard for someone just fronting up at the airport with excess luggage.

She probably pressed the button because the agents are busy, there are other people waiting to check in, and she needed to move to the next person. How much discussion does it take between you and your husband to simply say " take the bag off, we' ll repack and join the queue later" . Although again, I'm not sure how you were intending to do that, unless you had no hand luggage.

Lastly, I doubt very much she spoke little English, but as you were in Italy, I wonder how were your Italian skills?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

This happened to me with Emirates in Vienna. There were two of us travelling - she weighed the bags, said we were over, and then proceeded to push the bags through. When we aksed how do we get them back to repack and throw stuff out, she advised they would have to recall the bags and then we would have to go somewhere else to collect. One bag had not gone through - unfortunately that wasn't the one we would have liked to have re-packed, but hey, stuff happens.

Eventually a supervisor came to see us and we "negotiated" how much we had to remove from the other bag. Solution found.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

Why the h...l does anyone NEED that much luggage???

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

I imagine brining back souvenirs or something, but it's a lot. I go away for a week, I take a lot and my bags about 13 kg max. common sense alone would have said the bag was well over and to deal with it before getting to the desk.

However it's more than 13 kg, because it's 44 usd a kg and the bill was 600 euros. As such, unless the op made a currency error it was close to 20 kg over, which is huge. No one, and I mean no one could not have known it was well over.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

I can travel RTW for 7 months with ,20kgs of checked luggage - and that includes bringing souvenirs back and also travelling from the tropics to above the Arctic Circle.

When I have been aware that my luggage is over the limit a sweet smile and an "im sorry" has always enabled me to get a good deal . Doesn't mean we haven't paid up - has just meant we have had the best possible arrangements to help us reduce the cost - just as Raelene has said above.

And I am always embarrassed when anyone accuses someone from a non English speaking country of not speaking English. OP how many Australian check in clerks speak Italian?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

Nozzle

Sometimes I do. Like when I'moving to another country......

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

All airlines have max allowances in terms of luggage and it is wise to inform yourself before flying what these limitations are.

Emirates is generous and gives some of the highest luggage allowance in the industry. If you pre-pay the excess, Emirates offers a rebate vs. what you pay at the airport. Also in most cases Emirates is not that strict and will close an eye for 1-2 kg's. However there is not guarantee as the rules are the rules. Also Emirates does frequently not charge for all excess kg's at the airport but will maybe give you some for free.

If you were flying to Brisbane with Emirates from Venice the excess baggage rate at the airport is actually Euro 59 and not AUD 44. emirates.com/english/…

So I think what happened is, that Emirates gave you a couple of kilos for free and charged you only for 10 kilos (10*59=Euro 590) but you had rather around 18-19 kilos over ("1kg = AUD 44" / 10*59=590 / Euro 590 = AUD 855 / AUD 855/44 = 19 / if you refer to USD then it is 18). Hence a total of around 78-79kg plus hand luggage. If that is the case then Emirates was very generous in your case.

Whatever, if travelling with a lot of luggage having a quick check is a good idea. When traveling with my family I always make a quick check on a bathroom scale as my wife can pack more in a baggage than the max allowed weight per bag (never understood how as she does not pack stones).

<<discussing what to do>>

Please understand that as a check-in agent you have to help check-in hundreds of people for a flight and the airplane must keep its schedule. Plus people do not like to queue, so you have to be a bit speedy. This is not the right place for a discussion. And with the amount of overweight you had no chance to reach your allowance. So what you do? Push the button, give some kg's for free and "next please". And I think that is what happened. You were charged actually only 10 kg's to save the time to maybe take some stuff out.

If this is what really happened you should rather write a thank you letter.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,025 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates excess charges on baggage

< Why the h...l does anyone NEED that much luggage??? >

Cruise