We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on booking flights

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on booking flights

Good morning guys!

My partner and I are hoping to go to America for a month next March, but as that's quite a while away yet, and because of the nature of my partner's job, he doesn't want to commit to booking a flight right now, because I understand that it's not very easy to change names on tickets (if he couldn't come)

We will be flying London to NY return - do any of you know of any good airlines that do allow name changes?

Also - my main question is, at the moment, we could get a return for £440 with British Airways. I personally want to book these, but because of these reasons above my partner can't. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how quickly these flight prices will be going up, and whether there is a good time when I can book these?

I hope my message makes sense, and hope someone can help me!

Thank you!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on booking flights

Are you saying you would try and get A N Other to use your boyfriend's ticket to fly to NY with you if he couldn't get time off work? I've never heard of that before. Many airlines will let you change the name on a ticket (possibly for a small admin charge) but that's usually because there was a mistake in the name when the ticket was originally booked and it doesn't exactly match the name on the passport. Changing a name is not intended to be a method of transferring tickets, as far as I know.

Read the sticky in the top RH corner of this page called 'buy now or later'. It's much too early to be booking flights for next March. There's tons of competition on the London - NY route so you're not going to run out of options. But nor can anyone predict when the cheapest fares are likely to appear - airline pricing is incredibly dynamic and the same seats can change in price from day to day. You have to decide on a price you find acceptable, book when you see it, and never look back. When you do book, book directly with the airline and not with a third party, unless that third party is well known for reliability, like Trailfinders. The price savings promised by most third parties are illusory and designed to trap the inexperienced.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on booking flights

I think you could wait a while and maybe wait for a BA Sale, they always seem to have one in Oct/Nov. It just gives you a little more leeway.

Name changes are not permitted on the cheaper fares and if your partners circumstances changed could cost you dear.

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on booking flights

Thank you guys! My boyfriend will be glad to know we can wait a few months - I'll have a look at the sticky at the top now!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on booking flights

I think the prices you are referring to are actually flights with American Airlines and not British Airways (however booked likely through the BA website).

Not sure if AA will go much lower than that.

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on booking flights

Oh it seems like they were BA - as they were on the BA website, but you might be right.

So is the October/November sale usually quite good for return flights to America?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,317 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on booking flights

I dont remember an Oct/Nov sale (but that may be just that I wasn't looking at the time tbh). BA has had a sale in Dec/Jan and I think September the last few years so very likely to again.

They have a sale on now so worth checking the site to get an idea of prices.

You could also look at Icelandair and Aer Lingus, the latter also has some offers on at the moment.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on booking flights

"Oh it seems like they were BA - as they were on the BA website, but you might be right. "

In fact all AA flights between UK and USA appear on BA's website, and all BA's flights on the same routes appear on AA's website. You can tell which is which as the American Airlines name and logo is displayed. The flight number is also a clue - genuine BA flights on BA's website are shown with a flight number beginning with a 0 for example BA0177, while the AA flights are shown with flight numbers beginning with 1

as example BA1516. This flight is actually AA101. The BA flight number is a codeshare number.

London
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on booking flights

If you are going to book a hotel as well a your flights you can usually pay a deposit with a travel agent like Trailfinders, Travelbag, Dail-a-Flight etc., with the final balance normally due 8-12 weeks prior to your departure date. They can use what is called an Inclusive Tour, or ITX fare. The deposit should only be around the £100-£150 mark, which is similar to what any penalty fees would be if you paid for the flight in full now. If you needed to cancel, you would only lose the deposit, and if there is a lower fare available your agent should be able to swap it over for you, as your flights will not have been issued. The same is true should you want to swap the name over. They won't want to lose the booking, so will be more flexible than an airline would be.

£440 to NYC with BA is pretty decent, and if you book now you will have the pick of the flights, rather than possibly having to go for a flight that is earlier or later than what you want. The price will be the same for either an American Airlines or a British Airways operated flight, as it is sold as a BA ticket.

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on booking flights

Ah that's a great idea Garytravel.

We were looking to book through STA travel as they were amazing last time they booked a holiday for us.

Maybe they'd do the same? Do you think it worked the same although we're going for a month - I mean, would they have to book all the hotels for us, or do you think it would work with them only booking the first hotel for us?

IYes, £440 is so good, but then, it's a lot to lose if we can't change it and the Other half isn't 100% yet. Especially I think if people reckon we could still get quite decent prices in things like the September sale.

Thanks!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,317 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on booking flights

You can pay a deposit now/balance later with most travel agents (Trailfinders are worth considering) and on BA you certainly can when you book hotel and flight together which usually has a small discount. Still worth comparing booking hotel direct though IME.

Whether direct or through a third party and each bit separately or as a package, you will probably be booking the cheapest non refundable/changeable fares and hotels though, so if this the issue you need to ask before travel what it would cost to change one of the PAX nearer the date or see if you can get or book more flexible fares etc (which will be more expensive).