We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

Rome, Italy
1 post
Save Topic
Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

Can I just vent my annoyance at the generally crappy service offered by airlines for vegetarians and vegans?

I was unfortunate enough to have to fly US Airways from Rome to LA and back a few weeks ago. First in order to book a vegetarian meal I had to phone a premium rate number in Rome (meat eaters don't have to). Then, when I flew across the Atlantic it turned out they'd got no notification of my preference so despite paying to order a veggie meal, they didn't have one for me.

Then I flew from the East coast of the US to the West and what were we served during the 5 hour flight? A cup of tea. Yes, that's it.

The same back again.

And now I'm having to fly KLM from Rome to the UK and, guess what, they tell me to "bring your own snack or sandwich with you on the plane" despite the relatively high cost of the ticket.

Personally I hate this discrimination against veggies and vegans. Tell me, do religious groups who can't eat pork (etc) have to put up with this?

KLM and US Airways suck as far as customer service goes!

1. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, June 23, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

Discrimination against veggies? Are you serious? Lol.

As for religious groups,the answers is yes, same for anyone who won't eat the standard default meal and wishes to be specially catered for,

Bring a snack, most of us do.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

Carnivores vs Herbivores. Haven't you seen Jurassic Park, you know who wins.

In all honesty, it is not some conspiracy and your vents are welcome here. But just remember, while your apple may not have been delivered to you on fine bone china - some poor sod in an earlier post was denied salt and pepper for their steak, now there is a true sad story.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

Hi

I take my own snacks, a cheese roll, bag of crisps and a bottle of water, but not because I'm a vegetarian, far from it, I just don't like paying a fortune for an airline meal, and if I'm on full service then a bag of cheesy crackers and a bar of chocolate, just in case the meal is inedible.

You chose your vegetarian way of life and occasionally you have to compromise, just be ready with a couple of sandwiches in your pocket and you will be fine. I would say the same to anybody whose religion or preferences are away from the norm.

Jackie

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

Wise words Jacky. Passegers with special food requirements are better off taking their own food. On a two hour flight from Rome to London, why not just a have quick snack at the airport.

Problem solved.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

With KLM you can book special meals in principle: klm.com/travel/…index.htm

However and as stated on short flights this option is not available. This is not a question of discrimination but of cost savings and logistics. I do not know what the normal meal would be (if there is one and not only a sandwich), but in most cases there is always some bread, salads etc. available.

Please understand the airline, they see their principle role as mass transportation company and not as fine dining company.

As with the other airline, you said it yourself: "they'd got no notification of my preference". Small mistake. Again no discrimination. Still better than being bumped of a flight or arrive and your luggage is somewhere else.

Please keep things in relation. A significant part of this world has not enough food to eat. Another significant part follows vegetarian diet since ages (have once a look at India). Major religions stipulate stringent diets as well. And there are health related issues for diets.

On a short flight it is no issue. On a longer flight either prepare yourself or be a bit flexible. Your requirements can be easily fixed by the cabin crew, at least.

Edited: 6:18 am, June 23, 2014
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

I'm a vegetarian but I don't think you were discriminated against. You were just flying some truly ordinary routes. Intra-Europe flights are usually pretty disappointing for catering, and forget about anything decent on a US domestic flight!

Next time, intra-Europe, fly Turkish Airlines-- amazing catering for everyone, including vegetarians. Also, the Greek carriers do a good salad etc. for vegetarians.

Long-haul, you're catered to on just about all carriers, but quality varies.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

Now I've seen it all - discrimination against vegetarians and vegans! That just made my day :)

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

I can't remember the last time I got a meal on a domestic US flight (I'm not counting the chance to buy a boxed lunch). Pre 9/11, I think.

10. Re: Vegetarian/Vegan on airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:36 pm, June 23, 2014