We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Air traffic controllers

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
French Air traffic controllers

So worried booked to take daughter and family to Disneyland Paris on June 29, staying for 5 nights.Not a package as needed to go from local airport.what happens re Disneyland booking if flight cancelled.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Air traffic controllers

Look at your travel insurance under the section covering cancellation and or curtailment to see if your are covered for the risk of strikes, as you are due be travelling on June 29 (the back end on the strike) I would pay more attention to any section that covers curtailment and you MAY??? be able to claim back a proportion of your accommodation costs (do not know if this will apply to any tickets for D/L purchased separately), if for some reason you don't have travel insurance then there no point in purchasing it now to obtain this cover as strikes coverage will be invalid

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Air traffic controllers

Thank you

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Air traffic controllers

No insurance ? Then prepare plan B.

I had to get to Amsterdam during the Icelandic volcanic dust cloud so I booked very cheap ferry tickets with Norfolk lines. I think it was only about £50 return for three of us and a car, I suggest you do something similar. Driving to Disneyland Paris is easy from Calais, assuming the French lorry drivers don't go on strike and block the ports. ;-))

Jackie

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,287 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Air traffic controllers

As mentioned above, I would also explore alternative transportation, though it might well be that OTHER unions/federations will join in, should there be a strike. It could be that the whole country of France will grind to a standstill, or maybe not?

Good luck,

Hunt

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,287 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Air traffic controllers

Jackie,

<<assuming the French lorry drivers don't go on strike and block the ports. ;-))>>

Depending on what one reads, and where they read it, the "strike" could affect only airline travel, or not, but could also affect ALL transportation in the country, down to bus conductors and taxi drivers.

Let us hope not.

Hunt

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French Air traffic controllers

Strikes are always inconvenient. Think as well to make a plan B.

Problem is that the train workers are striking as well. The extent is however unclear. iol.co.za/business/….U6ZyxvmSya8

Lorry drivers threatened to block roads. dailymail.co.uk/news/article-148698/French-t…

So if the trains start to run again, you could take a train to Disneyland.

Altogether different option is to check out Europa Park in Rust, Germany. It is very similar to Disneyland. www.europapark.de/lang-de/Home/c1174.html

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Air traffic controllers

Or to Efteling in Holland which I think knocks Disnet into a cocked hat. It has a brilliant but expensive hotel and a new self catering village, and you can book it without paying the excessive commission Bridge Travel charges for Disnetland.

It is easy to get to, fly to Amsterdam and get the train, usually with one change, to Tilburg where there will be a bus right outside the station waiting to take you to the park. It has lots of themed flights, the Dream flight and Flying Hollander to name but two, along with beautiful parkland, the usual crop of indoor and outdoor Roller Coaters, lots for small children, a magic Forrest and maze and loads more.

BUT if the OP has paid for Disneyland then this isn't a viable option. So back to plan B and if the whole of France goes on strike then it's a trip to the swings with a couple of crying kids ;-((

Jackie

Liverpool
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Air traffic controllers

We are in the same situation. Due to fly out of Liverpool into PCDG on the 26th.

Still no confirmation on the Easyjet website as to how this is going to affect my flights but as a contingency I have booked a 'flexi' crossing with P&O from Dover to Calais. If the industrial action gets cancelled or my flight is not affected then I forfeit a £30 cancellation fee with P&O.

I had a look at the trains but for a family of 5 travelling from Liverpool it is too costly and as they are just returning back after industrial action, too risky.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Air traffic controllers

In cases like this airlines should have some insurance so that passengers are able to let us cancel and get our money back.Jet 2 say to check 12 hours before flight is due, too late especially with young children and Disneyland bookings.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French Air traffic controllers

Hi

I'm pretty sure the Airlines will transfer you free of charge to the next flight with seats available but with thousands of others in the same boat your flight out might be a week after you return. I think if it's Easyjet you would get a refund if the rebooking wasn't acceptable.

Jackie