We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

I'm flying from Heathrow to New York City next month and I have to connect in Philadelphia. I arrive in PHL at 15.35 and am supposed to catch the next flight to NYC at 17.00. Am I right in thinking that I have to go through customs and collect my luggage to check in for the next flight? Or will the airline transfer my luggage for me? I'm on a single ticket with US Airways.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

You will have to pick up luggage at PHL and after clearing customs re-deposit them for the onward flight

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,260 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

I would add that you also need to clear US Immigration prior to collecting bags and clearing US Customs.

The chances of making that connection in 85 minutes is low in my opinion - you could easily spend the best part of an hour waiting to clear US Immigration and any delay to your incoming flight will seriously hamper your chances of making that flight.

I assume you took that route because it was a lot cheaper than any number of the daily non stop flights from LHR to NYC.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

The biggest wait I usually have when transiting through PHL is the wait to go back through security, because international arrivals dumps you landside with no option to stay airside. I find that immigration and customs are far less of a wait.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

All correct above. That is not much time at PHL, IMO. Good luck.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,260 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

"I find that immigration and customs are far less of a wait." - US Immigration isn't normally such a major issue for US citizens as it is for overseas visitors.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

Hmmm - so as an outsider reading and learning, what would happen if i were in this position and missed the connection assuming a single ticket.

Is that deemed a "no show" or does the airline forward me on the next flight?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,051 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

If it's single ticket, the airline puts you on the next AVAILABLE flight, which could be the next day or the next week.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

On one of the routes with the most daily nonstop flights in the world and you opted for a connection....at PHL...with not enough time to clear immigration, customs and security?

Why??

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

1hr25 is very risky, and there's a big chance you'll miss the connection. The recommended time for an INTL-DOM connection for foreign visitors is three hours.

Looking at a random date in July, the positive news is that there are five later flights to LGA, so if you did miss the connection that's a fair chance of getting rebooked onto one of those. That said, only one of those is US mainline, the others being Express flights on small RJs, so seat availability may be scarce.

10. Re: Heathrow - LaGuardia with connection in Philadelphia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 23, 2015