We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours delay on a flight

2 posts
Save Topic
10 hours delay on a flight

Hello

I am currently on holiday (1 week to the dominican republic all inclusive ) . The day of the departure we were supposed to leave london at 10am and arrive to DR at 3pm the same day . Once at the airport we have been told that the plane have a problem and we will leave at 8pm . Meanwhile they gave us £5 voucher for breakfast and book us a buffet for lunch . We end up leaving london at 10pm and arrived in DR by 2am the next day .

Can i get a compensation from my holiday insurance or Thomson ?

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hours delay on a flight

You might be entitled to EU compensation from Thomson although be prepared that they will likely not pay out anything until you take them to small claims court. Whether your insurance will pay out anything obviously depends on the policy you have.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hours delay on a flight

Think delay payments under travel insurance usually kick in after 12 hrs however you may be due euros 600 each passenger on your booking under EU261/2004 for late arrival at final destination (Type 3 flight) from the carrier dependent on the reason for the delay, please be aware that regardless of the true reason Thomson will claim "extraordinary circumstances" in order to avoid payment, they have a reputation of denying that grass is green if they think they can get out of paying passengers compensation

Edited: 7:29 am, June 20, 2014
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hours delay on a flight

Thank you for your replies , as soon as i am back to london i will start claiming .

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hours delay on a flight

Yep, write and claim from Thomson. As others have said, prepare for them to reject your claim and say it was extra ordinary circumstance. In the meantime as you are waiting for their response, look at small claims. It's only an online application, and the onus is on the airline to prove it was extra ordinary, as opposed to you proving it was not, I think it costs 80 odd pounds.

At that stage they usually pay up, sad but true.

5. Re: 10 hours delay on a flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 22, 2015