We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport waiting times

Rochester, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Passport waiting times

Hi

With regards to the recent delays in processing passports, how long have you had to wait for yours in this delay? (If it applies to you)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport waiting times

My brother and his wife got theirs back (the week before last) 3 weeks to the day from posting them.

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport waiting times

8 weeks and counting. due to fly out in 3 weeks and not so much as a letter for an interview (my partners first adult passport)

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport waiting times

Daughters first passport - into the 4th week now, so to be fair it isnt late yet.

Edit - although I will add that they took the money out within about 5 days, so the system that takes money isnt backlogged. Shock. No supporting docs (birth cert) returned either.

Edited: 8:39 am, June 20, 2014
St Helens
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport waiting times

Sent both my son's applications off on 27/28th May post office check and send and after 3 weeks I did the tracking. I got emails on Monday to say they had received the applications on 30th May. I'm panicking know though as we're meant to be going away on 17th July, I just hope we get them in time. Fingers crossed eh

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport waiting times

Just seen they still got a back-log of 53,000 ! How the hell do they get in that mess?

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport waiting times

One of the official explanations is that they've had a huge increase in applications, but other sources say that's a cop out. They've had new software installed which means staff have to be trained to use the new system! They've also cut staffing levels to a bare minimum and many applications have been left till the last minute. Just glad I renewed mine in January.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport waiting times

I seriously doubt there's been a huge change in numbers of passport applications... sure there is an ebb and flow with the economy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport waiting times

I think they failed to account for all the overseas ones coming in due to shutting the embassy systems down.

However it should be fairly easy for them to understand how many passports will need replacing on an annual basis due to expiration dates and then add in an average number, say over a five year period of new applications, then add a percentage change for economy or whatever fluctuations, and come up with a rough estimate of how many passports they will be progressing on a daily or monthly basis.

The fact it's gone up year on year isn't a valid excuse in my book and should not have been this much of a shock to them. They should have better demand forecasting ability and insights into their own business, as well as contingency plans for peak periods.

Overall I don't think the current screw up is justifiable. If it was a business, with competitors, they'd be over by now.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport waiting times

The increase in applications was forecast last year, as the offices abroad were closed, but unfortunately the top officials/politicians decided to continue cutting staff numbers.

Its amazing how many people leave it until just several weeks before a trip to renew a passport. You can renew up to 9 months in advance, & that extra 9 months gets added onto the length of your new passport

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport waiting times

If they knew about it and decided not to resource it, then someone should be losing their job. End of.

In terms of people applying, I think because this is something we don't do often, we renew our passports basically every ten years, many people look at the website, see it says 3 or four weeks, add two or three more weeks on for safety and simply assume they are good. They don't anticipate something goes wrong or the passport office falls into total disarray, they simply take it as read that's how long it will take.

Which on a high level, I can understand why people would make that assumption and have what they think is a reasonable expectation that passports will be processed in that time frame.

Sure you get the ones who cut it too fine ie they do it exactly three weeks before hand and they don't give all documentation, then they are to blame, but most of the complaints you see are from people who had a relatively significant buffer in terms of timing ie it was a couple of months before they needed it and the passport office simply went into melt down causing them to lose holidays, suffer major stress and spend time chasing it and paying extra to expedite. In that scenario the blame, in my view, is totally at the feet of the passport office.

They don't even update their website with average wait times so new applicants can make informed decisions on how best to apply, they simply leave people thinking that 3 to 4 weeks is to be expected, so more and more people unwittingly fall down the rabbit hole every single day.