We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

Great trip to Spain. Then we returned to Newark Airport for final leg of journey home. Our flight from Newark to Durham was simply cancelled. United help desk was unfriendly, to put it mildly. No weather issues. We were told to make our own arrangement ("it's up to you") for sleeping, food etc. flight was supposed to leave this past Thursday around 4:25pm flight 4872. That was June 12. Is this unusual? We rented a car rather than try to sit there all night. Any advice? I have filed complaint without response. Should our travel agency help? Thanks.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

Sometimes those airport desk agents can be very cold indeed.

However, as you were on an international journey, I assume you had travel insurnce to cover any out of pocket costs, just do not hold your breath for an apology

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

Very odd state of affairs, when you checked in for you flight from Spain I assume that you checked in for the last leg without any issues? United do have a duty of care towards you, did they not offer any alternative flights?

London, United...
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

I think you need to provide more information.

When you say " last leg", was your complete journey on one ticket or was this seperate tickets with the airlines?

When was the cancellation notified, when was it cancelled ie when did you last check your flights on line and did you check in on line? Was it cancelled that day or well before?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,193 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

The fact that there was a travel agency involved makes me suspicious about what actually happened. Was the flight itself cancelled, or your tickets? What agency did you use?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,062 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

What happened when you called United? Seems odd to me that someone would rent a car instead of insisting United find them a flight. Something is missing here.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

Fightstats shows it was cancelled after a few short delays pushing it back each time, so it would have been fine when the OPs flight left Spain. It doesn't say why it was cancelled.

Very strange the OP would be told they are on their own but I dont know what the deal is in the US with flight cancellations.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

The flight has been cancelled on 12th and 13th: flightaware.com/live/…KRDU

There would have been other flights with Republic / Express Jet.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
56,045 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

I hope we get more info about this trip!

Usually when a flight is canceled the airline puts you on the next available flight.

IF you were on 2 separate tickets then they won't do anything as they don't have any responsibility BUT if you were on one through ticket with a connection in Newark , then they are supposed to find you another flight.Please explain more fully as many folks fly United and might have similar problems.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

Many flights thru the NY area airports were cancelled--mostly RJs--due to severe weather. I don't know what the weather was for 12th , but 13th was not good. My husband was commuting (not) that day and barely made it to JFK the next day by using a jumpseat, allowing another standby pax to board.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines simply cancelled my flight. No apologies.

I see the OP said "No weather issues" but perhaps he just looked out the window, weather hundreds of miles away can affect flights due to numerous knock on effects so since as you said many flights cancelled seems he was misinformed. That would also be why there was no duty of care I assume?