We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of flight with stay overnight in ORD vs stop in ORD

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of flight with stay overnight in ORD vs stop in ORD

Per Orbitz, United from PDX to Byrd via ORD is $217, but booking the flights separately with a night in Chicago costs $532 plus $517 for $1049 for the same flights. Why is a longer flight half the cost of the same flight getting off at the first stop?

What would happen if I booked a flight to Richmond for $217, and left the airport at Chicago. Could the airline charge me for not continuing?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of flight with stay overnight in ORD vs stop in ORD

"Why is a longer flight half the cost of the same flight getting off at the first stop?"

Market forces. United flies PDX-ORD non stop so you pay more for the convenience. The one stop to has to compete with other one stops from other airlines and so UA wants your business the fare is lower to compete.

"What would happen if I booked a flight to Richmond for $217, and left the airport at Chicago. Could the airline charge me for not continuing?"

Yes they could. What you're thinking of is hidden city ticketing and totally against the T+Cs. Plus, (a) if you had checked bags they would be checked through and you couldn't collect them at ORD, (b) all remaining flights on the ticket would be canceled once you no showed, including the returns, and (c) if there were irrops and you were rerouted, the reroute may not go to ORD.

If you want a cheaper flight from PDX-ORD, look at one stops from airlines that don't fly non stop, like Delta or Southwest (to Midway).

Edited: 9:15 pm, June 08, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of flight with stay overnight in ORD vs stop in ORD

I should add that if your plan is to spend one night in Chicago and then continue to Richmond, then try searching for flights and fares using the multi-city search option. Depending on how you plan to return home you may get better fares priced as multi-city or open jaw methods. For example PDX-ORD, ORD-RIC, RIC-PDX may price much cheaper than separate PDX-ORD and ORD-RIC returns.

3. Re: Cost of flight with stay overnight in ORD vs stop in ORD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 10, 2015