We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

Washington
Level Contributor
470 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

My husband and I will be flying into Heathrow (out of Seattle) British Airways, terminal 5. We have an hour and a half until our next flight to Hamburg (terminal 5, British Airways). Must we collect our luggage and go through customs/immigration there, or do we wait until we're at Hamburg? Only reason I'm asking is because we're at the very back of the 747, and I'll be pushing my husband in his wheelchair/walker - so we might be a bit slower than the norm.

Thanks so much in advance.

Caroline

WA state

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

If you are flying on one through ticket your baggage will automatically be transferred to your flight to Hamburg and you will not have to go through immigration at Heathrow.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

You and your husband will have to make your way from one of the satellite terminal buildings to Flight Connections in the main terminal building, and it's almost guaranteed your flight to Germany will depart from a gate in that main terminal.

Ninety minutes isn't a great deal of time as you may not disembark until 15 minutes after the rest of the pax. There will be lifts in place to make your way from the gate to the transit train for the quick journey to Flight Connections, but you've not got a lot of time to spare. Please keep an eye on your watch.

Edited: 6:01 pm, June 03, 2014
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

Book special assistance at Heathrow airport you won't have to struggle on your own they will take you and husband through to your connecting flight.

Why are you even contemplating doing this on your own without help? The special assistance is there ask your airline to book it now.

Deb

Washington
Level Contributor
470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

Thanks everyone for the terrific information. So... we wont have to go through security again? Just hate the hassle of that, and it will make things so much easier. Actually, I can 'hoof it' fairly fast - even wheeling my husband. But if we have a lengthy and confusing route to take to get to our next gate, the thought of getting someone to help sounds tempting - very tempting. Would I request wheelchair (using theirs) and have them meet us as we 'deplane' in Heathrow?

Also, I was assuming since we arrive and depart out of terminal 5, the gates would be in close proximity to each other. No?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

>> So... we wont have to go through security again? <<

Yes, a brief security check. Request special assistance and things will go much more smoothly.

Washington
Level Contributor
470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

Thanks everyone. I took all your advice and booked special assistance.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

A very wise move, and now you want have to worry, airports are big places, well Heathrow is and when you have a disability or traveling with someone the walking and standing around is vast and painful if you don't get help.

My last piece of advice is when you are on the plane to Heahrow is to have a word with one of the flight crew and ask them to check assistance is in place as you have a connecting flight. It never hurts to check!

The special assistance crew meet you at the door plane and take you to where you need to go, you don't wait in line they have priority through immigration. This is a free service at Heathrow, your airline book the assistance then another company on the ground contracted to airport deliver the service.

Make sure you tell your wheelchair pusher you have a connection and little time!

Also book assistance at your final destination, it is not worth the struggle speaking as one who is disabled and also a carer.

Deb

Edited: 3:22 am, June 04, 2014
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

When you arrive at LHR you will most likely be at the B or C gates.A very wise idea booking special assistance.You will take a short train ride to the main terminal and the A gates where your HAM flight will depart from.Your help should show you the way,but follow the purple Flight connections signs.

You will then be required to reclear security.Remember liquids and gels rules apply.Conformance which is unique to T5 means that you must be through security 35 minutes before the departure of your HAM flight or you will be rebooked.This is a fixed computer cut off and is not avoidable.

Your bags will go straight through to HAM where you will clear immigration and customs.

If your first flight is on time then 90 mins should be plenty.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

"Conformance which is unique to T5"

Now being applied across the whole airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sugg/help with Heathrow with British Airways

You'll have to do security and will be a pretty long trek all together. It's a walk to a train, shirt train ride, walk to flight connections where there's a line and they check your boarding pass. Then another line for a security screening. Then after security another walk to your gate. You'll also have to go up and down between levels several times on elevators. It's not just walking from one gate to another.