We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Connections in Frankfurt (FRA) & Munich (MUC)

Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Flight Connections in Frankfurt (FRA) & Munich (MUC)

I'm looking to book a flight to Los Angeles (LAX) in November but the flights have connections and as I'm flying alone and have never caught a connection flight before, I don't know what to expect.

The outbound flight is Manchester (MAN) - Frankfurt (FRA) - Los Angeles (LAX) with 1hr 20min connection time in Frankfurt.

The inbound flight is Los Angeles (LAX) - Munich (MUN) - Manchester (MAN) with 1hr 50min connection time in Munich.

All flights are with Lufthansa and booked together.

Will these connection times be long enough? and what is the procedure on landing in my connection airports? Do I have to collect my hold luggage and check it in again or does it automatically get moved from one plane to the other? and do I go through passport control? etc.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,782 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Connections in Frankfurt (FRA) & Munich (MUC)

"Do I have to collect my hold luggage and check it in again or does it automatically get moved from one plane to the other?"

Your bags will automatically be transferred

"and do I go through passport control? etc."

You'll need to clear passport control and security.

The connection times are a little short so don't dawdle but you should make it as long as your incoming flights are not delayed - more info here.

frankfurt-airport.com/content/…faqs-tips.html

munich-airport.de/en/…index.jsp

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Connections in Frankfurt (FRA) & Munich (MUC)

You will not clear immigration in Frankfurt and Munich.

UK
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Connections in Frankfurt (FRA) & Munich (MUC)

Hans_DEN is correct about Immigration (it's an international-to-international connection, you don't enter Germany)... and you may not even have to go through Security. Both the UK and the USA are on the "safe list", so re-clearing security is not mandatory, but depending on what gate you arrive and and depart from you may need to re-clear security because of the lack of a sterile route in between some gates.

4. Re: Flight Connections in Frankfurt (FRA) & Munich (MUC)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 06, 2015