We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USAirways Meal Comp

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
USAirways Meal Comp

I just boarded a US Airways about 5 hours later than scheduled. We were at DFW from before 9 until after 3 pm due to the cancellation. The delay was mechanical, not weather. Lunch at US Air expense? Nope. Because the original flight didn't have meal service, no comp. I wonder if there is some time after which they comp you for their breakdowns.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

I really don't know why people expect/want someone else to pay for there lunch..

I would just go & get myself something if I was hungry.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

"Because the original flight didn't have meal service, no comp."

I realize you were delayed... but if lunch was never being provided, why would they provide it for a delay? Help me understand the thought process please.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

Jet Blue gave a $50 or $75 credit (can't remember which) to each of us when our flight was delayed by 3 hours once, also a mechanical problem. What and when they compensate for delays is explained on their web site.

No food vouchers, but they let us off the plane after about 2 hours and brought out water and snacks to us in the waiting area. US Air could have done the same, but I don't think they even offer free snacks on the plane any longer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

Tarmac delays are treated differently to delays when in the airport, due to access restrictions to refreshments etc, confined space, different conditions,

As for the op. You would have had to buy your lunch at some point, even if it was on,y " fixings " for a sandwich at home. Sometimes vouchers are given, but it's a few bucks, a sandwich and a can of pop doesn't cost too much, no comp is due here. How long before it would have been due, I don't know, I think it's fully discretionary.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

Flying would be very expensive if they had to comp everyone meals because of a couple hours delay. I too have had the JetBlue snack treatment after a 4 hour delay, but it was because they had all those snacks hanging around. USAir doesn't serve free food so I don't know why OP thinks they are entitled to it. If it was Dallas to New York, would you not have been purchasing food for the flight anyway?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

Your circumstances are somewhat different as you had already boarded the plane and there are rules on extended onboard ground delays, the OP never boarded his plane

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

If you are referring to me - we never got on the plane until take off. They brought the snacks from a back room out to the gate area. It was the same stuff as on the plane, but I don't think they took them off the plane.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

Anon was referring to mo32 but just not quick enough on the keys to ensure it got posted in the right order! lol

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

Maybe I didn't make my post clear. We were already off the plane when they brought us the water and snacks. I was just trying to say, I didn't think they had to do that, it was just a nice gesture. They told us we could walk around or get something to eat, but not to go too far or for too long. We've had other experiences with other airlines with delays, and nothing was offered.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USAirways Meal Comp

@roblaw47, there's no law or rule that they have to give you a food voucher for a few hour delay. You may get it as a gesture of good will, but in my experience, that's very infrequent. I have not gotten a food voucher in years.