We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

Hi all,

I'll be leaving for an Alaskan cruise in a fews weeks and have a question. I'm flying Air Canada from PHL-YYZ-YVR and will have a camera bag that'll prob be over their 22 lb carryon limit. I'll have 2-3 camera bodies, numerous lenses, a laptop, etc. and the weight adds up quick. Do they weigh your carryon bag routinely or is it hit or miss? Is there a charge if you're over the weight limit or do they make you reduce the weight? I'll pay any charge if necessary but don't want to put any of my gear in my checked luggage. I'd have nightmares of them tossing around my suitcase with my 14-24mm 2.8 lens inside! Thanks!

Jim

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

In my experience most carriers are primarily concerned with the size of carry on rather than the weight but they could decide to weigh it on the day and if they determine it's overweight they could ask you to put some items in your checked bags.

You can take a second smaller personal item such as a camera bag with a weight limit up to 22lb that could solve your problem.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

DH drags his big camera, lenses and a heavy old laptop around with him in a backpack, and has never had it weighed by Air Canada.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

Try not to LOOK heavy - if you can't manage to not BE heavy. (Do you need all that gear?) If you lose your balance picking up the carry-on, or you have to bend at the knees to do so, yes, they may want to weigh it. Think light, look light...

I don't think they've ever weighed my little carry-ons. Usually they take one glance and that's the end of it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

I've had my carry on weighed by European airlines but not AC. If they did weight it, you'd have to check it or take stuff out to get it under weight. You can't exceed the limit by paying a fee.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

I have never had my carry on weighed by Air Canada, just Porter and USAirways. If it is heavy it has to be able to go under the seat ahead of you not in the bins.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

it's random, I've had mine weighed a couple of times, other times they don't even look at it. Like others have said, try not to look bulky and heavy. Most airlines nowdays are looking at quantity of bags at the gate.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

Not only should you appear to be light, you should ensure that you're well under the dimension limits as well. Because you're coming in from PHL to YYZ, you're going to be on a smaller jet, likely an Embraer 175. On the smaller regional jets, you're more likely to be asked to skycheck bags that otherwise fit the legal carryon requirements because the bins are smaller on those aircraft. So, don't pack them in a roll aboard bag. Try to pack them into a bag that would fit under the seat in front.

Edited: 5:22 pm, May 26, 2014
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

Thanks everyone for the replies. DCH_in_Canada, you're right, we'll be flying to Toronto on a puddle jumper. All of my stuff will be in a backpack type camera bag so it should fit under the seat in front of me with no problems.

Jim

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

There is a safety reason that the weight allowance is there, so they won't ask you to pay a fee, unless there is a fee associated with checking in a second bag.

10. Re: Carry on bag weighed by Air Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 29, 2015