We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline reservation dates

Marshall, Tx.
Level Contributor
36 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Airline reservation dates

I have noticed that the airline rates go up, after 21 days, or more are between your roundtrip flights. Has any one else noticed this, or am I losing it. I wouldnt think, you would be penalized for staying longer than three weeks, at your arrival point before making a return flight. Iam looking at a 35 day trip to Europe and the fares for round trip are higher than for a 21 day trip.....Whats up??

Stockport, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline reservation dates

airlines tend to have 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and year tickets, priced accordingly, I guess your into 3 month ticket costing.

Doug

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline reservation dates

Each airline has it's own fare rules/regulations w/advance purchases, duration, etc...you may very well be looking at a carrier that has a 21-day fare base and when exceeded rises to its next higher fare....they often don't make sense....the industry has its own way to calculate to what they hopefully believe will be to their advantage and profit! Happy searching Gater!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline reservation dates

I'm in London for 8-10 weeks each time I fly there, so that means more money, doesn't make much sense though, does it!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline reservation dates

Does anyone remember the scene from "Sleepless in Seattle" and the little boy has his little girl friend checking on tickets to New York and they are discussing fares? It seems like it went like she explained that the pricing for fares was a mystery. I need to watch that again to get the exact wording.

Why don't the airlines just set an all around price for fares where you can know what the price is? Bus companies, taxis, ferries, subways all do it. Traveling by plane anymore is like taking a bus anyway, as far as I am concerned.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline reservation dates

Don't remember the Harry met sally scene but the link below "If Airlines Sold Paint" is probably in the same spirit. It is old - but it humourously illustrates the complexity and often ridiculous nature of airline pricing and fare rules.

http://etntelephone.com/stories/paint.htm

The good news is that alot of airlines ARE moving toward a simplified fare structure. - especially in markets where they are competing with Low cost carriers.

raquel

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline reservation dates

Raquel

Fancy meeting you here instead of Argentina!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline reservation dates

Hi Reina,

I am broadening my horizons . (Too much extra ime on my hands.) And considering I worked for an airline for more than 30 years - this forum could be up my alley..:)

raquel

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline reservation dates

Hey Raquel

I am finding the airline forum to be most interesting. It could end up being my favorite forum. There are people from all over the world posting here. It seems we all have to fly to our destinations.

Marshall, Tx.
Level Contributor
36 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline reservation dates

Gee Guys... I didnt mean to start a world conversation. But thats OK. It makes it more interesting. Thanks for the input...

10. Re: Airline reservation dates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 18, 2009