We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Connections - Enough Time?

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Connections - Enough Time?

I will be arriving into Heathrow Terminal 4 at 5.50am, and my connecting domestic flight departs Heathrow Terminal 1 at 9.30am. I'm flying business class into London, so should disembark fairly quickly. I will have to collect and re-check baggage. I'm thinking it should be plenty of time, but it's a few years since I arrived into Heathrow on an early morning flight. The only fly in the ointment would be a delayed flight into London (which did happen last year, departure out of Kuala Lumpur delayed by 1 hour, but as my connecting flight was the following day it wasn't an issue). Thoughts?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

>>thoughts<<

Sorry, on what?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,423 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

Are you on a single (through) ticket? If not, the risk is all yours. If it is, then the airline will have to accommodate you on the next flight with available seats.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,813 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

The fact that you say you have to collect and recheck luggage suggests this is separate tickets - if so there is nothing you can do but hope for the best. Apart from the potential delay to your first flight there is also the chance that one or both airlines could make a schedule change turning a possible connection into an impossible one.

If they are separate tickets and you miss the second flight then you are simply a no show and will need a buy a potentially expensive walk up ticket.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

So are these flights on one ticket, or on separate tickets? And which airlines are you using this time?

Here's the issue(s) regarding separate tickets that TomC has mentioned. If you're on separate tickets and both carriers are OneWorld you may get some protection against a delay.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c207311/Newton…

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

My domestic ticket is flexible, so if there are schedule changes or delays I can change it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

My domestic ticket is flexible, so if there are schedule changes or delays I can change it.

-------

Dealing out information in dribs and drabs does other posters a disservice. You seem aware of the risks and with that new info they are minimal to zero so it's hard to understand what you are asking for.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,681 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

>>> it's hard to understand what you are asking for. <<<

's obvious innit? She wants to know if the flight she is going to arrive on will be on time (despite having not told us its origin or the actual date of travel).

Now where's that crystal ball when you need it ......

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

I will be arriving into Heathrow Terminal 4 at 5.50am ON A LONG HAUL FLIGHT FROM SYDNEY AUSTRALIA VIA KUALA LUMPUR, and my connecting domestic flight TO MANCHESTER departs Heathrow Terminal 1 at 9.30am. I'm flying business class into London, so should disembark fairly quickly. I will have to collect and re-check baggage. I'm thinking it should be plenty of time, but it's a few years since I arrived into Heathrow on an early morning flight. The only fly in the ointment would be a delayed flight into London (which did happen last year, departure out of Kuala Lumpur delayed by 1 hour, but as my connecting flight was the following day it wasn't an issue). Thoughts?

There, now you have all the information. I missed 13 words in my original post. Sue me ...

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

Thoughts?

------

if your plane is sufficiently late you'll miss your second connection.

Ifit isn't *and* if your luggage is on time *and* if there aren't extraordinary delays at immigration, you won't.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight Connections - Enough Time?

To be honest, im not sure what you are asking either, it does appear you are asking if your flight will be on time. If it's on time you know you can make it.

No one can tell you if it will be delayed , if it's delayed, then you can still make it, the longer the delay the less chance you have of making it. If you are transiting kuala lumper you will know if you will be delayed and can change your ticket as it is flexible. Just call them. You can probably take a 60 to 90 min delay at the very max before you need to request a change, due to your need to collect bags and recheck in, after this time it becomes more and more risky.