We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

I booked a flight from Jakarta to New Delhi via Expedia and they offered me a CGK > SIN > DEL trip, but there was a transit in Singapore for 1h 5m which was tight.

When arriving in Singapore I later found out that the airport terminals were different for the connecting flight and ended up missing my flight.

I realized that this would have been avoided if I did more research on the terminals, but do you think that I can claim some sort of refund from Expedia as well since their system did suggest this flight to me?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,972 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

Were you put in the next available flight? If so, that's all you can expect.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,122 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

"but do you think that I can claim some sort of refund from Expedia as well since their system did suggest this flight to me?" - No

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

Did you not check the connection times before paying for the flights?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

Expedia offered? Did you check to see if the airline had the same schedule? I would suspect Expedia's computers get their schedules from the airlines and don't necessarily come up with their own options (unless more than one airline is used). I've seen many airline Web sites that have unrealistic transit times, though they must be within the 'legal" connection time. What airlines were involved in your case?

Not sure what "some sort of refund" might include. What I don't see in your post is what eventually happened. You were put on another flight? You had to buy a ticket at the Singapore airport? For what would you expect a refund? Your inconvenience?

Edited: 11:06 am, May 23, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,573 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

>>>I realized that this would have been avoided if I did more research<<<

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

No, you are not entitled to any refund.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

You don't tell us the outcome,,,what happened,,,were you put on another flight? Did you receive duty of care?

Anyway, the short answer is no, of course you can't, you bought that ticket proactively. No one forced you. I'm. Pretty sure the system also showed you other options, which you chose to ignore, as well as totally ignoring the option to buy from the airline direct.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

Minimum connection at SIN is 60 minutes so you selected a valid routing

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

Have you confirmed whether the airline's own Web site showed the same option? Is it under the "legal" connection time? You don't say what finally happened and whether you're trying for a "refund" of the entire fare or part, and whether it's due to costs you incurred or inconvenience.

10. Re: Expedia offered flight with impossible transit time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 25, 2015