We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
70 posts
65 reviews
Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

Hi there,

About to book some economy fares from Melbourne to LA and would like to get people's views on which carrier to use.

My choice is Qantas on the A380, or United on the 787 Dreamliner.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
70 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

Not sure what TBIT is, but sounds like United is set up better in LA.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,762 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

I have flown United a few times from Australia to the US (once via LA) and Since I am a loyal star alliance member, I stick to United. If you don't care then get the best deal.

I would not choose an airline based on whether it landed at United's terminal or 10 minutes away at TBIT. Immigration and customs are run by the same agency at both and depending on the time you arrive there may be large or extra large crowds -- part of the process

If you cannot decide, heads UA, Tails Qantas

have a great time in LA -- Please use the great TQs in the LA forum to help you plan a good visit

3. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:58 am, May 22, 2014
Edited: 1:58 am, May 22, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

So you would make a decision about a 14.5hr flight based on a 'possible' up to 2hr formality experience at LAX? Not schedule, not fare, not seating, not service, not loyalty program, but the queue at the other end.

Bizarre.

Edited: 2:11 am, May 22, 2014
Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
70 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

No, my question is definitely which is the better airline and aircraft to fly on - not regarding terminals.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

Each to their own I guess. Kinda like choosing a hotel based on checkin and checkout experience.

I haven't flown the Dreamliner, but the layout sounds great, brand new modern aircraft couldn't be so bad. I've flown the A380 several times but in J and PE. Upper Deck, in the A380 is nice, but again, I can't compare.

Edited: 2:28 am, May 22, 2014
Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
70 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

Thanks folks. Good advice. Much appreciated.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
696 reviews
8. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

to add to the confusion

i have just conducted some research for our upcoming US trip - likely contenders, UA, Delta, Qantas, Virgin etc

based on TA forums and www.airlinequality.com reviews (see UA) - narrowed down to QF and Delta - then chose QF

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

Nick - as you have had many regular flights from Australia into LAX with UA, with no complaints, may I ask why you chose a different carrier on the occasion two weeks ago?

Edited: 5:29 am, May 22, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,969 posts
114 reviews
10. Re: Mel-LA: Qantas vs United?

With the United flight so far there is only the one daily? So choice is limited. I see the Qantas flight gets in at a similar time ... personally I hate arriving first thing in the morning and then get stuck in peak hour traffic plus the issue of luggage hours before you can check-in to your hotel. So for me I'd go with Qantas, but I'm also a club member so slightly biased.