We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with claiming travel certificate

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
help with claiming travel certificate

Hope someone can help. Apologies for my stupidity or if i'm in the completley wrong thread. Basically myself & my husband are getting a travel certificate from united airlines as a form of compensation for a previous trip. I had wanted to make sure both our certificates could be used at the same time when booking flights so i emailed them and they sent me this back. Can someone explain this a bit better to me please? Thank you very much

"The electronic travel certificate can be used as cash toward a purchase of a ticket for flights operated by United and United Express and is valid for one year from the date of issue.  You would each received an electronic travel certificate that you would apply to each of your tickets.  Combining the certificates would not be an option in your case because one certificate cannot be applied to multiple tickets booked at one time.  Ticket has to be booked by the expiration date, but travel can commence any time after that.  As a rule, our schedule is open to book 360 days out.  The certificate cannot be sold, but is transferable to a passenger of your choice.  If a ticket you are purchasing is less than the amount of the certificate, you will hold the residual value to use at a later date with the same expiration.  Certificates are redeemable on united.com and by calling Reservations.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

I'm actually not sure what you don't understand. You can each use the certificate towards the cost of your trip (you can't use both for one trip for one person). You have to book by the expiration date, you can let someone else use your voucher.

What are you unsure of?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

I'm not sure what you are asking. You cannot combine the certificates.

You must use your certificate to book one flight, and your husband must use his to book his own flight. You will have to travel on separate itineraries. Is that what you are asking?

Edited: 8:21 pm, May 16, 2014
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

You can use them to book seats on the same flight, maybe you are asking about that?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,099 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

I have used travel certificates (or vouchers) for our flights. I booked each person's flight separately, and made partial payment with the certificate (same flight, adjacent seats). Worked fine. I think that you can call the airline after making the reservations & ask that the PNRs be linked (if you want).

Edited: 11:20 pm, May 16, 2014
Illinois
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

You can definitely ask for the itineraries to be linked. Then theoretically if they move you to another flight they'd move both of you. I did this flying on separate tickets with my daughter, but I don't think there were any return flight changes. That was with Delta anyway.

I would check your seats and flights regularly after booking so you notice if one person got changed and not the other.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
18,855 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

The only caution I would offer if you book a ticket for yourself with one certificate and another for your husband with the other, thus having separate itineraries, is that you then couldn't combine luggage weights. With two tickets on a single itinerary, generally you can pool your allowances so that if one of you is over the limit and the other under, they cancel each other out (as long as your combined total isn't over the combined limit. But even then you end up paying for less excess).

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

I just tried to link two separate bookings with US Airways (with kids on each booking) and they would not like the bookings. They would cross reference them but no guarantees that if things changed they would be accommodated together.

Illinois
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

OP is using United.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

Ok thank you everyone :-) just wanted to make sure that the balance of both vouchers would be cleared at the time of booking as i live in ireland and flying anywhere with these guys is basically a rare thing for us! Looks like my best bet is to book flights seperately then

10. Re: help with claiming travel certificate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 19, 2015