We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitcase security

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Suitcase security

I was shocked to see just how easily someone can open your suitcase then reseal it with no signs of tampering. I will be changing my suitcases in the very near future.

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpKhHwwtiY to see how.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitcase security

Videos like that have been doing the rounds for years. The cases I use for checked luggage are hard cases with molded locks, so the ball point pen raid won't work.

That said, the best way to avoid having your checked baggage pilfered is not to put anything of value in it, and even with a hard top molded lock case, I put nothing of value inside mine.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitcase security

Someone in Africa forums suggested using randomly coloured cable ties instead of or in addition to locks. They are really cheap, TSA/ customs can just cut them open but you will immediately know if someone has opened the bag.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,907 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitcase security

Best is to use good suitcases like Pacsafe that have zippers that cannot be opened with a simple pen. Otherwise putting a lock on most suitcases is pretty much useless. I thought everybody knew this.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,069 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitcase security

< Otherwise putting a lock on most suitcases is pretty much useless. >

Helps stops overstuffed suitcases from flying open and everyone seeing your taste (or lack thereof) in underwear

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitcase security

Many of us on this forum stopped locking our bags. The flimsy luggage locks don't offer any protection anyway and are more prone to being torn off on the conveyor belts, and after having lost several off them I began using cable ties several years ago and had never had a problem. Just don't put anything in your checked luggage that you can't afford to lose.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitcase security

Unless you are really worried about the quality of your bag and feel it may burst open, then there is no reason to lock etc,

Yes, suitcases can be opened and rifled, but if you don't put anything of value in there, then it's a moot point. If someone wants to take the time to have a look through my shoes and clothes, then I'm ok with it. However bags are scanned, anything of value can usually be seen and these are the bags that tend to be opened. Random opening and rummaging is not how I understand it tends to be done.

Just don't out valuables in there that can be seen, identified and then subsequently stolen.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitcase security

Hi

Locks keep the honest people out.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,873 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitcase security

Best thing to do is just don't put anything in your suitcase that is valuable to you.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitcase security

I don't bother with a lock, just had a couple of flights to US (int plus domestic) and somewhere along the line TSA decided to take a peek (when I unpacked I found their calling card) result nothing missing,nothing damaged and we are both happy

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitcase security

It's perhaps worth mentioning that airline staff quite often open checked baggage in an effort to reunite it with the rightful owner when it gets lost or delayed and there is no other way of finding out who that may be.

Put you contact details INSIDE the case and there is a fair chance you will get it back again. The vast majority of staff really aren't interested in the contents.