We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet blue vs US Air\American

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jet blue vs US Air\American

Hi

i am from Australia so obviously don't fly domestically very often in USA. I am flying from Washington to ft Lauder dale ( price is pretty similar). my concern is that were flying on a Saturday evening to make a next day cruise in fort Lauderdale. it is early jan and I am concerned about flight cancellations if a snow storm etc.Are either of these airlines better than the other in terms of handling these situations ie making up backlogs etc?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

What dates? What routing? What city, if any, you connect through, can be critical.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

If you can fly the day before just in case the weather turns bad

for choosing the airline i would choose Jetblue first

good luck.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

I would look at who is offering more flight alternatives that day should a cancellation arise. Normally I would choose JetBlue all day long, but they had a pretty spotty record with the ice storms last winter, including grounding ALL flights in and out of New York and Boston for a half a day.

At the end of the day, if it is weather, it will most likely affect either airline, but JetBlue is the only one I have heard of that made such a sweeping policy in advance of a storm. The notice was in advance at least, so people could attempt to make alternate arrangements when I think the other airlines took a wait and see approach.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

Whichever airline has the most frequencies between DC/BWI and Miami would be my choice if I had similar concerns to you.

Washington isn't exactly snowstorm central so it's not something I'd consider on a trip.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,908 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

I would choose Jetblue if price is similar and the route/schedule work for you. You get more leg room and a free checked bag. You also get to watch satellite TV on-board.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

I would suggest trip insurance just in case you do miss your ship.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

Jet blue did a horrendous job with the winter storms last year. They are a smaller airline and I think have fewer options available when things go really bad.

Edited: 4:56 pm, May 13, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

But really if it's a snowstorm every airline will have issues. All you can do is leave a day or more ahead if your cruise.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,199 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

Jet Blue may be more comfy when flying but it has a smaller fleet and fewer scheduled flights than US Air/American so in winter I don't think it is the best choice!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,166 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet blue vs US Air\American

JetBlue and get travel insurance.