We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines - Cheap price/Cancelled flight

Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines - Cheap price/Cancelled flight

I paid for a Spirit Airlines ticket, but I found out that my flight was cancelled when I reached the gate. The excuse given was bad weather for the incoming plane. Ironically, we checked other airlines. None of the others had cancelled flights. Furthermore, my flight had few seats sold which was concerning. The flight was cancelled and the very few customers who had bought tickets were delayed from the morning to the afternoon. The problem is for people with connecting flights and people who have reasons they need to travel at a certain time, like going to see a son play in a national college sports championship; but then missing the opportunity. When a consumer buys a ticket, there's a trust that the flight will be honored. It doesn't matter how cheap a flight is if it doesn't fly. People should not be treated as test subjects to see if a flight can be filled, but then abandoned if it doesn't. People with connections who were stranded weren't put up in a hotel. In my opinion, the airline is brutal. The resounding feeling from those on the flight was that they won't fly Spirit again. Once again, there are critical time sensitive reasons for travel. Once an airline breaks the customers' trust, it is hard to regain.

1. Re: Spirit Airlines - Cheap price/Cancelled flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, May 13, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines - Cheap price/Cancelled flight

If they said it was weather it very probably was, it depends where the plane was coming from and where it was coming from before that, and before that. Spirit have no back up agreements with other airlines and it does not matter whether other airlines had weather cancelled delays, it would have to be similar routes and similar times that that aircraft had flown before it was due to arrive at your airport, with no other spare planes and no other agreements in place.

Airlines don't cancel flights on the spur of the moment due to lack of seats sold, because the plane has a chain of flights it needs to do and it needs to be places,,,so after collecting you, it needs to get to it's destination, and then it needs to go someplace else and so on. Cabin crew need to get to where they are going. A cancelled flight has major knock on effects and impacts many pax down the chain.

So if the flight was cancelled and they said it was due to weather, then it very probably was. The issue, as said, they have that differs from many other airlines is they have no back up agreements with other airlines and no spare planes hanging around waiting to take you instead. As such, a weather delay one place has a major knock on effect for them down the chain. You would need to track that plane to see where the original issue arose.

Edit,,,and when prices are that cheap, then they are not going to pay for hotel accommodation for you. That's what travel insurance is for.

Edited: 12:57 am, May 13, 2014
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines - Cheap price/Cancelled flight

Agree with froggy, you need to understand how an airline operates and one flight is just a small pice of that jigsaw. Your aircraft and crew would have been flying many sectors that day.

Just because your flight was not full, the flight before and after could have been full. So your flight was important to the operation even if not full.

Same day cancellations on LCCs are a problem for them and they do not want them or cancel them just for the sake of it. Itcauses major problems.

So yes it was most probably due to weather somewhere along the way. Also if an event is important and can't be missed you should fly in the day before especially on LCCs as they will not reroute on another airline. Weather will effect all airlines but legacy airlines may be able to reroute more easily.

A lesson learnt, I think.

4. Re: Spirit Airlines - Cheap price/Cancelled flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 15, 2015