We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candles in Hand Luggage

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Candles in Hand Luggage

I want to buy some expensive Jo Malone candles in NYC and then take home in my hand luggage so I don't use up my weight allowance in my suitcase. The biggest candle is 2.5kg and a few smaller lighter ones. I don't want to pack in my hand luggage if they will be refused ay the airport as they are too expensive to lose. They are wax, not gel. Will I be ok to take in my hand luggage??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Candles in Hand Luggage

Yes, I've taken candles (including Jo Malone ones coincidentally) through TSA security checkpoints without issue.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Candles in Hand Luggage

As long as they're not lit when you go through! ;-)

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Candles in Hand Luggage

Cheers, thanks for that. I can breath now!

Douglas, they are too expensive to light .....ever!

Edited: 3:15 pm, May 12, 2014
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
578 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Candles in Hand Luggage

The only issue you may have is that they show up as a liquid on the security screens. This is not too much of an issue if you are flying direct but if you are going via another airport you will almost certainly get your bags checked. They wont take them off you though. Cheers!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Candles in Hand Luggage

I have had my carry on searched when carrying candles. I think the "mass" is hard for the scanner to read No big deal Once they see it is a candle they are fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Candles in Hand Luggage

I've just compared the UK & USA websites and the prices are more or less the same. I only mention this as it might save you space in your hand luggage.

7. Re: Candles in Hand Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 14, 2015