We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabin luggage

Northamptonshire...
1 post
Save Topic
Cabin luggage

Hi, we are flying to spain with Ryanair. My wife likes to take some food with us. Can we take frozen butter, vacuum sealed cheese, ham, pate , bacon and sausages. in our hand luggage. Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabin luggage

Yes you can apart possibly from pate, I'm not sure if that might be classified as a liquid as it's a bit mushy and there is no logic as to what they seem to be able to qualify as liquid. You might also get extra attention at security, hand searches of your baggage and questions about what it is, and they may wish to open it up to check which would of course ruin some of it.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabin luggage

Actually, butter and margarine are often considered as liquids/gels. I believe the definition is “a substance that conforms to the shape of its container”, so all sorts of cream cheeses, peanut butters, jams and butter/margarine are included. Freezing the substance won't help if it is forbidden.

TSA lists peanut butter and my home country butter but I don't know the situation in UK specifically, so that one is good to check in advance.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabin luggage

Hi

All of those except butter. You should be able to buy butter in Spain, I think they may have shops and everything there.

Jackie

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabin luggage

Never understand why some folk wish to take the full contents of their refrigerator on holiday with them. Each to their own I guess.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabin luggage

You can buy all those things in Spain, I can confirm.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabin luggage

One of my friends always takes his supply of Marmite to Spain. Not freely available apparently.

Sometimes I take maple syrup for my pancakes, but only if I have hold baggage, which I don't most of the time.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabin luggage

Forgot to say, last week we were served black pudding sausages for breakfast in our Lanzarote hotel. Lovely and most unexpected!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,215 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabin luggage

The pate you buy in Spain will be better than in the UK, as will the cheese IMO. There is no need to take food to Spain. Most of theirs is superior to ours.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabin luggage

If you do go shopping for butter, please don't do what my Italian-speaking friend did and ask for burro, otherwise you may find you've made a donkey of yourself .... (mantequilla is the word :-) )

EDIT: I tried to use an alternative word for donkey, but apparently it's a profanity!

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabin luggage

I don't know for sure about the UK, but in the US freezing works to make something solid (at least until it thaws). You can take the gel cold packs if they're frozen but not if they're solid.