We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

Quick question - I will be traveling from LAX to LHR then onto Switzerland.

They are different carriers (LAX to LHR - ANZ) and London to Switzerland on Swiss Air - ANZ will NOT transfer the baggage. Is there a company that offers this service - transfer your luggage from ANZ to Swiss Air?

Thanks.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,857 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

Nope.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

You could call UPS and FedEx and ask about shipping direct to your destination. It will probably not be cheap.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

No it's not cheap - oh well, I'll suck it up. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

Companies to transfer luggage ? Why ? Are you asking about skycap service at Heathrow ? It should be available in the baggage claim area.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,720 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

I had taken it that the OP was flying on separate tickets and that the two carriers did not have an interline agreement and so he/she would have to collect luggage and transfer it between flights. So he/she was asking is there a company that will do this for him/her not just act as a porter.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,635 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

Okay, first question. Are these flights booked on the same ticket, or are they on separate tickets?

Air New Zealand and Swiss will have an interline agreement as they are both members of Star Alliance. However, if the flights are on separate tickets that does not mean that the baggage will be through checked. In fact here is NZ's policy which states that they do NOT through check bags on separate tickets.

"If you have a connecting flight on a separate ticket, your baggage cannot be through-checked. You will need to collect your baggage and check in for your separately ticketed flight, where the baggage allowance and excess charges of that flight will apply. The only exception to this is that your baggage may be through-checked if you have a domestic Air New Zealand connection that is ticketed separately as an international conjunction fare (i.e. not a stand alone domestic fare)." - www.airnewzealand.com/checked-in-baggage

So, AFAIK there are no third party services that will collect your bags from the NZ flight at Heathrow and courier them on to Switzerland. So, if on separate tickets, you'd either have to collect the bags yourself and recheck them with Swiss (LX), or have the bags couriered from your originating point in New Zealand, which would be expensive.

Of course if your flights are on the same ticket this won't be an issue as the bags will be through checked all the way to Switzerland.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,108 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

If you mean someone to pick up your luggage at ANZ baggage claim in LHR and take it to Swiss Air's desk and check in for you, no, there's not a company that does that. With the customs and immigration and security issues involved, there's no way to do that.

You can either do it yourself or ship it via Fedex or someone similar.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

Yes, they are on separate tickets and ANZ will not transfer unless I made the tickets with them (I made them separate since the Swiss one is just one way and booking LAX - LHR - ZURICH then return LHR - LA would be like booking 2 one way tickets - so double the price).

I even offered to pay ANZ extra if they would put the bags through - yes, that's how much I hate HELLthrow.

Anyway, thank you for the responses.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

Actually shipping Fedex or similar is about $360.(not going to happen). But I found out that USPS also ships and that's about $140.00 (which is really not bad - but just an FYI for anyone that wants to ship luggage.)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,635 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a company that will transfer baggage for you?

"(I made them separate since the Swiss one is just one way and booking LAX - LHR - ZURICH then return LHR - LA would be like booking 2 one way tickets - so double the price)."

Oh dear. What you should have done is booked an open jaw ticket. That's LAX-ZRH on the outbound and LHR-LAX on the return. You book those using the multi-city option on the website. That would have been priced as a round trip, not two one ways, and you would have had your bags through checked as well as protection against misconnecing.